Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

PAINT?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 519 Total Views

We are currently in the process of remodeling my childhood home.    I have just recently had the foyer textured (knock-out)  It's still white at the moment , but planning on painting it.   The foyer has a slate tile floor with greens, blues, and some reds in it.    There is also a curved staircase that goes up one side of the wall to the upstairs....this is my question.     For all of the 47 years the house has been there, the railing on the stairs have been painted white enamel.     I'm wanting to change it....I'm thinking about using a bronze color of some type of paint. 

Anybody have any ideas as to what type or kind of paint I need to get...or have you any experience with painting wrought iron?

by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Make sue you sand and prime it properly..then use good quality paint made esp for metal....take your time and do all the prep steps, it will be beautiful...Please take before during and after pictures....I can hardly wait to see your project come to life.....

sweetleanne
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Since it's an interior railing, you can use any type of paint. But, if oil was used before, you will need a primer such as Bin Alcohol base to convert oil to latex paint.( One can not use a latex primer on an oil surface for adhesion.). The beauty of latex paint is that it doesn't need to be sanded, and water cleanup. Test your railing using nail polish remover on a rag and rubbing a small area to see if it will become tacky. If it doesn't become soften than it's oil and will need to be sanded. If  sticking with oil paint, you don't need a primer, but I would sand and use a sanding liquid. I have an iron railing too, and have a latex paint on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)