Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

window treatment help

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 272 Total Views

Hi there,

So, in my living room I have a fireplace.  To the left is a long narrow window.  To the right is also a long narrow window except it's actually a door.  The left window goes up higher than the right door if that makes sense.

When we first moved in (9 years ago!) we just needed something quick, so we got these ridiculous curtains that had adhesive and just kind of 'stuck on' to the windows...and they roll up.  (hard to explain).  They are too short about a couple of inches as well.

In the pic they look the same height because we stuck the curtain at the top of the door rather than the top of the window...but since it's a door I'm not sure how we would attach hardware at the top of the door to make it even with the window on the other side???

So, we just never bothered with them and now I really want to.  But, I'm not sure what kind of window treatment would work and still look symmetrical and good.  Help!

Here's a little better look at the curtain itself:

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sweetleanne
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I think the layering look would work.  Add a valance or panels above both door and window. Here's an idea:

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM
I like that idea, but if I hang it over the door I wouldn't be able to open the door with it closed without it being awkward/clumsy, right?

And since it's so narrow probably only 1 panel?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetleanne
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I thinks the panel tricks the eye from looking at the window. The first photo shows all different window and door openings with enough clearance for the door to be opened. It's just decorative. I think one panel per window would work fine. Have the panel hang straight down not closed at the top like this photo.

blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM
You would need to hang a drapery panel at each window/door, mounting the rods nearly at the ceiling and each at the same height. Doing that will camouflage the fact they are different heights. Of course you'll need to get panels long enough to skim the floor, probably 95 inchers which almost always have to be ordered...stores don't usually carry them. To address the issue with the door opening and closing, you need to use extension rods and extend the rods onto the drywall on the outer edges by about a foot. That way the panels will stack on the drywall to the side of the window so the door can be opened and closed. You will essentially be framing the window and door for looks only. A shade or blind will provide privacy and light control. You don't want to close the single panel across the space because that looks funny. You're doing the extension on both sides to make both sides visually balanced so they are the same width. I normally prefer 2 drapes on each window but your space is so tight I don't see that working here because of how your door is. I agree you don't want to use tie backs and you don't want the top of the panels pulled to the opposite side. Those are both dated looks. Just allow them to hang straight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caham
by Owner on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM
I assume you still need the door to be functional??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Yes

Quoting caham:

I assume you still need the door to be functional??

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it being symmetrical, since it's not.  I mean, it's not 2 windows, it's a window and a door.  You can get matchstick type blinds for both, and then add long drapes to the window.   The blinds being the same, with bring the 2 together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN