Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Chandelier

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 288 Total Views

I bought this great chandelier for my living room where right now theres just a regular bulb. The only thing is that i dont know how to install it (hehe). Do i really need an electrician? Any have any advice or intructions on how to do it? Can i just shut the light or do i need to turn it off in the main breaker?

by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
psych_mom
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Turn off the main breaker. If anyone turns the switch on it will shock you at a dangerous level. You need to connect the white wire to the white wire and the black wire to the black also the two metal ground wires. There will be colored nuts that hold the black and white wires together, once you twist your white wires together twist the nut onto them and the same with the black.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomVsBoys
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Dh is the electrician around here, myself, I have no real advice except to agree that absolutely turn off the breaker.  You could google it, there are some really great how-to videos out there, I think This Old House has some, they'd be good.  Good Luck!

blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM
You need 2 people, one to hold it and one to hook it up. If you have no help, a good trick is to use an S hook applied to the bracket to hold the chandelier close enough to allow you to connect the wires. Also, most brackets are universal. It's likely you won't have to use the bracket that came with the new fixture, which makes it much easier. It's totally a diy job...I've changed dozens in my time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
campeno
by Admin on May. 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Please turn off the power at the breaker!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tatinbriansmom
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

UPDATE: We turned off the main breaker. Hubby put it up. Its a chandelier we found at a garage sale for 35.00. I love it and am so happy with it. Still have to buy a medallion for the hole that was there from before. The chandelier had two brown wires instead of 1 black one and a white one, but hubby figured it out (love him).

Miss-B
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Awesome! Pic?

Quoting tatinbriansmom:

UPDATE: We turned off the main breaker. Hubby put it up. Its a chandelier we found at a garage sale for 35.00. I love it and am so happy with it. Still have to buy a medallion for the hole that was there from before. The chandelier had two brown wires instead of 1 black one and a white one, but hubby figured it out (love him).

psych_mom
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Of course it had to have different wires, lol. We bought one that had two white wires once- it's always fun. My fil is an electrician, heating and a/c guy plus runs the electric and water company in Nebraska where my dh grew up- he told us that if you get the two wires backwards that the only thing it will do is trip the breaker and then you just switch them and you are good to go. You sould share a picture:)

Quoting tatinbriansmom:

TheJerseyGirl
by Admin on May. 16, 2012 at 6:53 AM

If someone isnt handy enough electrically, then get someone else to do it! Electric scares me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)