Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

I can't decide..UPDATED W/PICTURE

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 839 Total Views

I've been re-doing some old pieces of furniture and I've reached a step I can't decide on.

Don't really know if you can truly tell what it looks like in this picture or not, but here is my little wooden childhood chair I'm redoing to put in the bathroom.  I painted it Sage Green, then gave it a little destressed old look by sanding slightly.   Now, I'm suppose to rub a darker stain over it to give it even more depth...but I kinda like it the way it is....Now, I'm trying to decide to leave it alone, or complete my steps?

I also moved my grandmothers table out of the basement, onto my screen in porch.   It's directly off my kitchen.  My kitchen is decorated county/rustic decor.

I can't decide if I want to paint this piece or leave it like it is. 

This has a lot of childhood memories in there...my grandmother kept all her dishtowels, and silverware in this table, I've washed many dishes  in a pan of water standing at this table.

What do you think?

So, I went with some of the advice on here, after staring at this table for several days....I painted it a sage green to clean it up, couldn't get the hardware off, so I just painted it black.

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I love the chair and it does look great the way it is, but I, personally, would do the stain. your gmother's table is to die for. It looks wonderful and if your memories would be stifled distressing it, then don't. it would look good either way.

campeno
by Admin on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM
I would finish the ateps with the chair. Your grandmothers table is beautiful...I would fix it up so it maintains its integrity:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Try the stain on the back of the chair, or somewhere that won't show.   You can then decide to go for it, or not.   I love the table, but personally, I'd spruce it up...it's pretty beat up.  

Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 3:55 AM

I would finish the steps with the chair...and I love that table. I'd spruce it up somehow...not sure how, but it needs some TLC.

psych_mom
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I'd finish the chair but leave the table alone. It has charm and character the way that it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:17 PM
I would finish the chair. The table looks nice as is but it's all about your taste and what look you are drawn to. I am sure your grandma would want you to do what makes you comfortable and happy. Personally, I'd like to see more of a contrast between the top and the body.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happysunsets
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM
I like how it is
MomVsBoys
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Why not live with both as is for a while? You can always finish them later, I know it's a pain if you're already geared up to do it and, if you're like me, it means cleaning everything up and putting it all away and then possibly having to do it all over again. But if you're really undecided, it would be a shame to do anything you may later wish you hadn't.

tnlizard
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 4:25 PM

**Updated picture after painting....see the original post above.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM

whats going on on the top drawer on the right at the top... is it just the angle of the picture? or does something need to be fixed?
Looks cute. Am thinking I agree with BlondP. I want to see some contrast somewhere.... Is the top different color or is that the light in the pic? Maybe a darker green on the top... or a happy butter yellow with a coat of poly on top?

but not so bright???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)