Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Need help with wood paneling home!

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 1058 Total Views

My bedroom and living room have wood paneling....hate it....but we rent so I can't change it. Anyway, I desperately need help decorating, especially the bedroom. I can work on the living room after we get newer furniture. We just bought a sleigh bed and want to spruce up our old dressers, add curtains, get new lamps, etc. What colors and ideas do you suggest to spruce up our drab room with wood paneling and wood floors?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sweetleanne
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Here's some ideas.

psych_mom
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Do you have pics?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDavis3
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM
I love picture number 3....it's exactly what I'm going for!

Quoting sweetleanne:

Here's some ideas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaDavis3
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM
I don't have pics at the moment but I can snap a few this evening. :-)

Quoting psych_mom:

Do you have pics?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I would consider going with a full wall of curtains from floor to ceiling and corner to corner behind your bed. It will hide a good bit of the paneling and create a dramatic focal point with the bed as the centerpiece. Then, match the curtains on the bed wall on any actual windows in the room. Be sure to extend the rod a foot or so beyond window edges on non-bed walls to visually widen the windows and hide even more of the paneling. Go even further by hanging large scale artwork where appropraite. By the time you're done, you'll have lots of fabric up softening the dark, masculine paneling with only bits of it peeking thru. I would be sure to go with neutral, lined drapes so you can take them with you when you leave and use them in your next place. I say lined because they tend to hang better and also so you won't have odd bits of light shining in behind them on the bed wall (if there are even windows on the bed wall. Your nautral light will come with any non-bed wall windows. In fact, probably best if possible to position the bed on a solid wall without any windows so you can preserve your natural light.

blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Forgot to say that the same effect can be achieved in the living room by doing a wall of drapes behind your main sofa and then matching them on other windows in the room. If you don't want to do a whole wall of them, just remember to extend your rods well beyond window edges and go floor to ceiling with them to cover the most amount of paneling possible while also visually enlarging the windows and raising the ceiling.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Love all those pics... Some nice ideas ladies....
Paneling always makes me think of beautiful adk rooms... On ipad..cant post pics... But, you know, dark greens, blues and red... Indian patterns... Natural wood... Listening to the loons!
Maybe when i get home i can look around... Find some pretty oanel wood adk pics... Makes me want to go to the lake! Mmmmm
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN