Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Ceiling Paint Colors

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 1235 Total Views

Please share with me any ceiling paint color by name that you think will go well with rich, golden tan walls and creamy white crown molding. Thanks!

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I like to use a 50/50 mixture of the wall color and a ceiling white paint. That way, it's tinted the same color as the walls, but lighter for differentiation. If you want it lighter or darker than 50/50, it's easy to adjust until you get what you want.

An easier way to go about it is to choose a shade or two lighter color from the same color card strip as your wall color, if you have the card strip! If the room is quite large and especially if it has high ceilings, some people prefer to go a shade or two darker on the ceiling instead of lighter for drama and to make the large space feel more intimate.

I don't think anybody is going to be able to give you a specific paint color for this because there are SO many golden tan paint colors out there. It's not a one color fits all answer.

psych_mom
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Do you want a different color or a similar color?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luzngkntrl
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Hi there;)

I'd like to paint the ceiling in a similar color family as the dark, golden tan color of the walls in my living room. I've been looking at swatches and some of the colors I'm considering are cream, ivory, bone white, light tan, pale yellow or soft beige. Right now the crown molding is blending in with the white ceiling and it doesn't look right at all. I don't want to paint the ceiling a darker color than the walls because I think my living room will look like a cave. Would you go with a cream, yellow, ivory or light tan for the ceiling?

psych_mom
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM
I think I would follow blondepegasus advice and just use a lighter version of the wall paint by either going with a lighter shade on the paint card or by mixing a 1/2 white ceiling paint and 1/2 of the wall color together and getting your color from that. If you pick a completely different shade of ivory, gold, yellow or anything like that it's not going to look good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomVsBoys
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I like blondepegasus' advice also.  If you don't have enough of the wall color left most stores can mix a color at half-strength, you could get it in whatever sheen you want then for the ceiling, usually it's flat.  It would be very pretty.

aidensmomma508
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM

White idk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN