Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Bedroom Remodel **edit** 2/5/2013

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM
  • 25 Replies
  • 940 Total Views
1 mom liked this

It's not totally done, but it's close.   I can't stand waiting anymore, lol.  Our master was very heavy and dark.  We decided to lighten it up considerably.  We were married in Hawaii, and that inspired us to go with a beachy look.

**edit**  I took the marlin out.  I got 3 of the same frame at the thrift store, and painted them white.  I cut some old maps we bought in our antiquing travels, and framed them.  My birthplace, dh's birthplace, and the place we plan to retire.  I like them better than the marlin, but they just don't stand out that much.  I also got a different rug, and I never took a pic of the art on one of the walls.  From art.com, a VW bus.  The pix are kind of dark, but it's dark out and I don't want to wait until tomorrow.  Pix at the end.

Before 

After

Dh got me the shutters for xmas.  They were off a 100 year old farmhouse.  They were black, and we painted them.   We got the marlin off ebay.  We wanted something fun over the bed.  Still not sure we love it.  We may look for a surfboard instead.  Curtains and duvet from Ikea.  Pillows from Target. 

I found the drifwood "wreath" at Home Goods.  I glued a mirror in the middle..added rope around the mirror.  Painted my son's old dresser white.

Got the rug from Amazon.  Not crazy about it..it's indoor/outdoor, it's kinda "plastic-y".  I'm going to put it in the gazebo, but looking out for another rug.  Carpet is new..it was grey.  We like carpet in the bedroom. I got a fitted sheet for the box spring, b/c I am not a fan of bedskirts, but the bedframe still shows, and it looks crappy.  I have to get a bedskirt, I guess :-(

My son painted and distressed my nightstand.  We got it at an estate sale, years ago.

Same with this nightstand, son painted and distressed (he works at a cabinet shop)

I bought some plain old crates from Michaels.  My son painted and distressed them, and then I hung them up and accessorized with some of the things I've been collecting.  He also painted this chair for me, an I made the pillows.

close-up.  I bought the chair at the thrift store for 6 bucks.  I also bought 2 ugly pillows at the thrift, that were in the size I wanted.  I recovered them.  I stenciled drop cloth material for the bigger one.

accessories.  Mostly thrift stuff.  The little things are printers number blocks.  The numbers are 02/21/09...our anniversary :D

More printer blocks...our initials  R&C

Our tv used to be on an antique singer sewing machine, taking up too much room.  We had it mounted on the wall.  I bought the console table at a warehouse sale.  Accessorized with things we've collected.

I bought the wicker/rattan (whatever it is) trunk at Ross.  It has extra blankets in it.  Plus, the cats can get in the window easier.  They had scratched my wall up so bad, that I had a big patching job to do when I painted.  I still need a print in the poster frame.

I bought new lamps today.  Love!  19.99 at Ikea

**New pix**

close-ups

rug

VW bus (got the poster frame from Target on clearance!)

I got a bedskirt too.  

by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessmomto2boys
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

WOW! HUGE change! I loooove it! It's so refreshing!! 

Not sure what I think about the marlin either. I am thinking I like the surfboard idea!

You guys did an amazing job!!!!

Come Join Us! The Real Housewives of Cafemom http://www.cafemom.com/group/117615

CafeMom Tickers

Photobucket

htreveth
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Everything but the marlin!! Love it all :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetleanne
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, great job! Can you get anymore of the curtain fabric? It would look great as a bed skirt, then the rug would blend right in. Love that fabric!

Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I LOVE it!!!

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The curtains are from Ikea.   I don't really sew much.   I found a king sized bedskirt at Goodwill yesterday, still in the package from Target.  It's a weird color green, but I bought it b/c it was 2.99.  I'm going to try to bleach it lighter, lol.  Dh said....JUST GO BUY ONE ALREADY :D   Buying stuff is easy....I like to create.

Quoting sweetleanne:

Wow, great job! Can you get anymore of the curtain fabric? It would look great as a bed skirt, then the rug would blend right in. Love that fabric!

WesleysMom23
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM
I love the new look!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
inmybizz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I love it...even the Marlin..  :)*

goochie
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM

It looks very refreshing!  Very soothing look.  I agree the Marlin is a bit much and maybe would look better in the bathroom or entrance to the bathroom.  Great job

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM

BUMP!

not-the-momma
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Great job!  I love the new look.  Much cheerier than the old color scheme.  I love all the personal touches.  I have to agree about the marlin, more for a mans study.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)