Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

I need some office/guest room inspiration!

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 670 Total Views

So we have a sorta small third bedroom that we use as a guestroom and office. In there now we have a bookshelf, twin size bed, desk, and some trunks that I put the printer on.. oh and an office chair and other odd chair..

Honestly now that I type it out I'm not sure how it all fits in there.. It really is sort of cluttered, but I'm just not sure what else to do. I would love to just have 4 bedrooms so I can have a pretty guest room and then a pretty office, but its not happening. We can't get a bigger bed because of space.. If we had a full size I'm sure thats about all that would fit in there along with side tables..

So how can I make this all pretty? Any ideas to maximize space? I'm all about hiding away clutter and having all the furniture matching perfectly, but its all mixed up because we just don't have the money to buy all new stuff.. Its all stuff that has been given to us throughout the years..

If you guys want pics I can go take some, I just don't feel like walking up the stairs for nothing right now.. lol

read my blog: www.rainingparade.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomVsBoys
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM
2 moms liked this

You could start maybe by getting rid of the extra chair and doing up the bed more like a daybed with extra pillows along the wall so it doesn't seem so much like a bed.  Could the desk and bookshelf be painted? Having them the same color might satisfy your desire for matching pieces, and glass cut to protect the painted finish on top of the desk can be relatively inexpensive.  Metal file cabinets are easy to find, possibly second-hand, a tall 4-drawer one would provide enough room for files and storing extra paper and other supplies.  With a little effort can be spray-painted any color of the rainbow, I did mine the lazy way, I found contact paper I liked and covered the file cabinet with it. 

victoriaherring
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I was actually consider painting the shelves! I love the wood color of the desk, so maybe I could just paint the legs... I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet that I keep in the closet in the room so that does help some.. I probably need to just go through junk and get rid of stuff..

Quoting MomVsBoys:

You could start maybe by getting rid of the extra chair and doing up the bed more like a daybed with extra pillows along the wall so it doesn't seem so much like a bed.  Could the desk and bookshelf be painted? Having them the same color might satisfy your desire for matching pieces, and glass cut to protect the painted finish on top of the desk can be relatively inexpensive.  Metal file cabinets are easy to find, possibly second-hand, a tall 4-drawer one would provide enough room for files and storing extra paper and other supplies.  With a little effort can be spray-painted any color of the rainbow, I did mine the lazy way, I found contact paper I liked and covered the file cabinet with it. 

read my blog: www.rainingparade.blogspot.com

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

MomVsBoys
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I'd love to see pics.  I just redid my office this winter, there's a post somewhere about it.  One of my fave things is my bulletin board, I got a 10' x 4' roll of  smooth tin (the kind they use for roofing), it comes in a zillion colors, so I chose white :) . I cut it 6' long, screwed it to the wall, into the studs, at top and bottom, then framed it with door casing. Instant magnet board, I'm not a huge fan of cork boards, I don't like having to actually put a hole in stuff to put it up.  Painting the legs of the desk the same as the shelves is a great idea!  If you could add some accessories in the same color it would look well put together.

Quoting victoriaherring:

I was actually consider painting the shelves! I love the wood color of the desk, so maybe I could just paint the legs... I have a 4 drawer filing cabinet that I keep in the closet in the room so that does help some.. I probably need to just go through junk and get rid of stuff..

Quoting MomVsBoys:

MomVsBoys
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Found the pics of mine.

I was still "tweaking" at this point but for the most part it was done.
blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I would utilize your closet for storage to keep the clutter down. If you have a wireless printer you could put it on a closet shelf, assuming you can run power to it. Some people prefer to build the desk into the closet to free up floor space within the room. That way the desk clutter can be closed off when you have guests. If you ever get the chance to acquire a futon or convertible sofa, they take up less room than a twin bed but still allow for a place for someone to sleep. Until then, the suggestion to turn the bed longways against the wall and add pillows along the back to make it into a daybed is a good one. If the closet is a double, you might consider filling one half with floor to ceiling shelving for storage or even just placing the bookcase in there to free up floor space.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Pix would be nice :D  You could treat the bed as a daybed...put the pillows across the long side, so it's "couchy", instead of "beddy", lol.  You could also do a "cloffice"...office/desk inside the closet.

You can paint your furniture, so it all matches. It just pulls everything together.  Everything white is a nice, clean look. 

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

great minds think alike! lol

Quoting blondepegasus:

I would utilize your closet for storage to keep the clutter down. If you have a wireless printer you could put it on a closet shelf, assuming you can run power to it. Some people prefer to build the desk into the closet to free up floor space within the room. That way the desk clutter can be closed off when you have guests. If you ever get the chance to acquire a futon or convertible sofa, they take up less room than a twin bed but still allow for a place for someone to sleep. Until then, the suggestion to turn the bed longways against the wall and add pillows along the back to make it into a daybed is a good one. If the closet is a double, you might consider filling one half with floor to ceiling shelving for storage or even just placing the bookcase in there to free up floor space.

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Love your storage unit, and esp the magnetic board.  Great idea!

Quoting MomVsBoys:

Found the pics of mine.

I was still "tweaking" at this point but for the most part it was done.

victoriaherring
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM
I would love to do this but we can't make structural changes since we live in base housing.

Quoting ILive4This:

Pix would be nice :D  You could treat the bed as a daybed...put the pillows across the long side, so it's "couchy", instead of "beddy", lol.  You could also do a "cloffice"...office/desk inside the closet.

You can paint your furniture, so it all matches. It just pulls everything together.  Everything white is a nice, clean look. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM

What structural change would you have to make?  What's in the closet, a shelf?  Those are usually removable, and may not even need to be moved if it's high.  In that pic, they just stuck the desk in the closet and the storage unit too.

Quoting victoriaherring:

I would love to do this but we can't make structural changes since we live in base housing.

Quoting ILive4This:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)