Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Let your creative juices flow!!! I need your help!!

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 332 Total Views

Most of you will probably remember my pictures from a year and half or so ago, when we first moved into our house. Hubby and I have decided that we are staying in this house for the rest of our lives..that's a long time! LoL. Anyway, so I am hoping for colors that I can live with for a long time! Preferably, more neutral wall colors that I can change my decor around over the years if I want to. Looking for paint ideas in all the rooms and decor ideas :) Thanks ladies!! Oh, and I plan on keeping all the big peices of furniture (kitchen table & chairs, couch and loveseat, etc). But will look at replacing picture frames, wall decor, and pillows...

This is my dining room coming in from the front door (This will only be for the next year or so as we will be remodeling the kitchen and putting it here instead). The toys will be out in Nov once the boys go back to their own rooms, and the sofa table will go along the blank wall, and the table and chairs turned 90 degrees (all the chairs will be there, they just werent in the picture)

Dining room from the stairs/kitchen:

Walking into the the kitchen from the dining room (There is now a smaller table in here that matches my larger dining room table and these four chairs around it that my boys and i use for breakfast) 

The kitchen ( I was completely cleaning house this day and everything ended up in the kitchen lol) the tile on the counters is dark blue...but again, in a year or so, this wont matter hehe):

Now my family room, which is down only about 8 stairs from the dining room and kitchen, its at garden level with the windows just above the ground. It is a dark room during the winter unless the curtains are open and letting in the sun light. Also, I have to add, I love my clock and would love for it stay where it is!!

Across the family room, what my couches are facing:

And what's actually hanging above my couch right now, that I'm sort of in love with...

by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
my2sweetjoys
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I love your family room and the way you could look through from up at the kitchen.Very neat!

I think just pick a great color that you like and paint! I know some of the ladies will give you great ideas but I love your family room

americansugar80
by Member on Sep. 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM

some of those rooms just need some sort of color, its not your kitchen though. if your into keeping things nuetral, just use accents to make a color maybe it could use a navy blue? ok so i'm not that great but i see what your saying.

anyway, when i looked at your TV it just bothered me. could it go in the corner? kiddy corner? maybe use bookshelves to display your stuff on the entertainment stand? it looks a bit outdated. plus i was never a fan of having toys displayed out. I always thought it should go into bedrooms.

I would say decide on a theme and look up pics on the net. Your house is pretty clean and not cluttered so If you decide on like a cottage them or cottage chic, or something you loved, stick with it, it may take years to go from start to finish.

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Gray is a nice neutral for walls.  That leaves you pretty wide open for accessory color.

In the family room, I'd nix the curtains for some bamboo type blinds...get a media center that's more like a piece of furniture, than a shelf (Ikea has affordable, good looking, options)...can you do some sort of built-ins on either side of the fireplace??  I'd go white with the woodwork too.  I'd also add to your gallery wall.  The pix are too small for the area.  Maybe a big pic in the middle as sort of an anchor, and then surround it with the other pix.  Add in something else too, that isn't a photo...frame something meaningful...small art piece by one of the kids??  Everything is so brown in there.  I paint everything is sight, lol...so, I'd paint the tables. And throw punches of color with pillows on the couch...maybe even giant floor pillows by the fireplace.  The room def lacks color.

You have a couple big walls in the dining room.  A big piece of art would be nice.  I got a great poster-sized print from art.com for $24.99...very reasonable.  A chandelier over the table would be nice.  Is a new dining set in the cards??  If not, Id be painting that set...but again, I paint everything.  I'd lose the red wall color in the kitchen. 

iHay
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM

tan, taupe and gray are my favorite neutral colors. If it was me I would add some sort of wainscotting or something on the lower half of the familyroom (with maybe an accent wall). And make the walls in the kitchen and diningroom match the upper half of the familyroom. If it was me I would refinish or paint the table and chairs to match the decor and get some pretty curtains.

blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Lots of good advice already. Your current paint color is already nice and neutral. I would keep it and add color thrum accents and accessories. Eliminate the dated vertical blinds and cafe curtains and replace with floor to ceiling drapes in dining room and natural shades in family room with long drapes just to frame windows. Paint the railing black. I agree with the others about painting your dining set if unable to replace. The light wood is dating your dining room quite a bit. Also agree to eliminate red walls in kitchen. Go with the same beige that's everywhere else. Going with the same paint color throughout will make the house seem larger and is a very classy look. Add color with artwork, toss pillows, drapes, an area rug under coffee table, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I agree with some sort of wainscotting in your family room... something like this.

I recently went to a GF's house who has a similar layout to your house.. she had a horizontal wainscoting on the bottom part in a grey barn wood.. looked awesome!!!

I also agree you need a more furniture type peice under your TV... and I KNOW you LOVE over your couch.. but I feel like some more definition to that area would be super cute! Maybe a painted color behind the photos... or even maybe something like these scrabble letters that spell family... just something to add to the area to tie it together.. I feel like it needs something... maybe even a few more photos... I seems to sparse for over your couch...

I also think since the kitchen and DR are just transitional rooms, dont waste your time or money fixing them up.. focus your efforts on the rooms/parts of your house that are staying.

looking great so far... seems like your house has great bones! wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness there!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)