Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

advice on my living room

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
  • 21 Replies
  • 593 Total Views
1 mom liked this
So im 21 years and just bought my first home :) . there is alot of work that needs to be done considering the house is exactly 100 years old.... any way im starting with my living room i need colors picked out carpet and couch. we have alll wood floors through out the house as of right now. and our triming is dark oak!!! and its not the skinny trim its probably about 6 inches from the ground up. im having so much trouble figuring out what colors would go good with that big bulky trimming!!!! please help... thanks :)
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

That wood trim is neutral, so anything will go with it.  You're going to carpet over your wood floors?? :-(   Are they in bad shape?

Things to help you decide.  Do you get a lot of natural light in the room?  If not, you may want to keep your colors on the lighter side.  If it's a bright room, you can get away with darker colors.  Small room, lighter colors..dark will make it look smaller.  

heninger09
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
thanks for this!!! lots if help... yea im just getting carpet in the living room. the wood looks like the last person didnt take care if it, i will have wood floors in ny dining room still.

Quoting ILive4This:

That wood trim is neutral, so anything will go with it.  You're going to carpet over your wood floors?? :-(   Are they in bad shape?

Things to help you decide.  Do you get a lot of natural light in the room?  If not, you may want to keep your colors on the lighter side.  If it's a bright room, you can get away with darker colors.  Small room, lighter colors..dark will make it look smaller.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you considered refinishing the floors in the living room? It should cost about the same as new carpeting. Wood floors are more desirable to most people, easier to keep clean, allow for more decorating options, and are better for resale.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EDDES
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Okay I am a decorator so give me pictures and let me see what you mean and I will give you everything I have got in suggestions that are professional and pretty to go with your space but a visual or two will help me see.

patnic
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I do one of two things when picking out colors.  Either find a picture or painting that you love and then build your house colors around that or go to Benjamin Moore paints online.  They have great suggestions on colors, trends, colors that go well together.  

Also, embrace the trim!  I bet a lot of people would tell you it is beautiful.  Just think of the dark trim as a picture frame.  You can add anything inside of it!

heninger09
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:19 PM

you can sort of see the trim. how thick and dark it is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heninger09
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM

so this is the living room. the trim doesnt look so thick in this pic. but as you can see i need major decor tips and a neww couch... just trying to figure what colors i want before i buy everything. bought my first home and this is my first time out of the parents house so im starting fresh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heninger09
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM
i posted a couple pics. there not the best though

Quoting EDDES:

Okay I am a decorator so give me pictures and let me see what you mean and I will give you everything I have got in suggestions that are professional and pretty to go with your space but a visual or two will help me see.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Do u want to keep the trim woid? Paint it white? 

Id recommend getting a solid color couch in a light neutral color. Gray, beige, something like that. Then u can add colors with the rug, walls, art work. My first house i made mistake of buying blue checked couch... Which tied me into keeping everything else solid and simple... So ive learned to do it the otherway now as rugs, artwork can b less costly then couches! Lol

heninger09
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM
i was thinking about painting them white. but everything is dark oak!!! door tovthe bedroom and the frint door even!!! everyone says its beautiful. but i hate it so much dont know why lol... im kind of scared to get a beige or grey couch with my 1 year old and the bfs 3 year old :/

Quoting SamMom912:

Do u want to keep the trim woid? Paint it white? 

Id recommend getting a solid color couch in a light neutral color. Gray, beige, something like that. Then u can add colors with the rug, walls, art work. My first house i made mistake of buying blue checked couch... Which tied me into keeping everything else solid and simple... So ive learned to do it the otherway now as rugs, artwork can b less costly then couches! Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN