Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Need help.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 414 Total Views

I hate the set up of my living room. I want to do something different but I want to do it with a different furniture! I've had it with this couch set its two years old and already standing up poorly to use! Plus we really need a pull out couch because we don't have a guest room anymore (kinda turned it into my sugar gliders room lol) Anyways what would you suggest for set up? DH wants to get a sectional but the two window's are the only window's in the room and in the summer its hard enough with one of them being blocked by the couch to get air flow. (unfortunately they don't open on top just the bottoms) A friend suggested I go with 2 love seats instead of a couch and 2 chairs. 

How would you do it?

So this is what my living room currently looks like. PS. The walls are going to a different color too! I HATE the color on the walls as well! 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosemagic01
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I want to do colors like this: 

Not so sure about the pillow color. I really like it with purple but then it becomes more sorta artsy/eclectic rather than beachy. I want it to look like a house that you just came off the beach and its modern and funky but very umm bright! Anyone have any better color ideas?

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I think those colors are FUN and FUNKY! I know JUSt what you mean. A beachy blue room! Aqua, like the color of an inviting pool in the summertime... the sky in the carribean... AHHHH

I like your idea. I think you could pull it off easy.. with somre pretty blankets and pillows, maybe paired with some artwork on the walls thats fun, funky, beachy, bright, happy.

An occassional table in your entryway and a mirror would help define that space behind the couch in my suggested layout.
Something like this set up-- not necessarily THIS; .  I

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

this kind of feel?
or not that reserved?? LOL

rosemagic01
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I like the set up but we entertain a lot with usually well over 15 people. That would severely limit seating area plus with the walls how they are in front of the entry there's only 13 feet till the wall that blacks about 4 feet. Then the wall that the entertainment certain is on is 16 feet from the windows. Ends up being very cramped. I don't know. I might just be stuck with it this way. The couch I have now is a 9 foot couch so it eats up a lot of space.

As for walls I have a ton of pictures of my family at our favorite beach. I was going to have them blown up on canvas in varying sizes put around the room. 

Quoting SamMom912:

I think those colors are FUN and FUNKY! I know JUSt what you mean. A beachy blue room! Aqua, like the color of an inviting pool in the summertime... the sky in the carribean... AHHHH

I like your idea. I think you could pull it off easy.. with somre pretty blankets and pillows, maybe paired with some artwork on the walls thats fun, funky, beachy, bright, happy.

An occassional table in your entryway and a mirror would help define that space behind the couch in my suggested layout.

rosemagic01
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Love this but culdn't stand the white walls. I love the blue in this a ton not so much the pink I think my DH would kill me for so much pink! LOL. 

Quoting SamMom912:

this kind of feel?

penneylane
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I wouldnt do the 2 love seats but then again there is always someone who wants to lay down and we wouldnt be able to do that with a love seat. we did this instead of a sectional/couch with chaise end. http://www.raymourflanigan.com/foresthill-2pc-microfiber-sectional-sofa-298292702.aspx the longer end is scooted up to the corner
 could you put your couch on the wall where that fan is? and keep your tv where it is? we have done that in one house and it worked out great. and then put the side chair angled into the room closer to the door?

my2sweetjoys
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Love these color choices.It does look like the way you have it set up is about the only way without buying new furniture.I have the same problem with my entertainment center and the way of my front door and one window.

It is a pretty room that you have to work with !

Quoting rosemagic01:

Love this but culdn't stand the white walls. I love the blue in this a ton not so much the pink I think my DH would kill me for so much pink! LOL. 

Quoting SamMom912:

this kind of feel?

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I'd put the couch so you see the back of it as you walk in the front door.  And either a love seat, or a pair of chairs opposite it.  If you had a love seat opposite, you could do a slipper chair, or even 2, depending on how much seating you need, in front of the windows.  Coffe table between couch and love seat/chairs.

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, the couch there, but tv unit where it already is, and a love seat or chairs where the tv unit is in this pic.

Quoting SamMom912:

rosemagic01
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM
That's the back door thank you though

Quoting ILive4This:

I'd put the couch so you see the back of it as you walk in the front door.  And either a love seat, or a pair of chairs opposite it.  If you had a love seat opposite, you could do a slipper chair, or even 2, depending on how much seating you need, in front of the windows.  Coffe table between couch and love seat/chairs.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)