Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

color scheme for a room with a red brick fireplace

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 1055 Total Views

We are moving into a house that has a red brick fireplace in the family room area.  We had to sell our major furnishings when we moved here, so I will be purchasing a couch, curtains, etc.... I am not sure what color schemes whould go with red brick.   All the photos I have seen so far are using monochromatic browns.  I do love the earth tones, but I want more color than just browns.  Right now the walls are white (but I don't mind painting) and the carpet is a very light grey (almost white).  Any ideas of what color scheme might look nice?  

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I love black furniture. And a cream or brown couch would look nice. Even go with red.

blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I love black furniture too. One of the great things about it is that any color goes with it wonderfully. Here is my living room with black and brick red/crimson accent color.It would work great with brown too. Are you thinking about painting the brick fireplace? If you truly have difficulty making it work, painting it is allowed!

RobinMarie
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

My fireplace was red brick and I painted it white....

pristine729
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I would paint the fireplace...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommyof2114
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I love the coffee colors
tnlizard
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Is the fireplace a eye sore?  If not I'd leave it red brick...

I have a red brick one in my living-room, and I've never really though about matching decor with it....I have hardwood floors, burgundy oriental rug, sage green and burgandy in my couch & love seat.. a taupe side chair..and wood tables...with decorator rods with sage green scarves and wooden blinds...I need to post a picture...the description sounds a bit busy. 

not-the-momma
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I would also consider painting the fireplace.  My old house had a red brink fireplace and no matter what I did to the room it always looked drab.  If I knew then that I could paint it I would've.  You don't even need to paint it white, you can do gray or any other color you like.

JoshuasMommii
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
We drywalled and tiled our red fireplace :)
enafaye
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a whole wall of red brick. It has black mortar.  We have had many color changes thru the years, but started with grey, then had white and stencils in blue, then a gold and tan w green, now it is tan and we have a dark red with it.  I guess you have to go with what you like.  We have lived here for over 40 yrs. and I love my fireplace.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)