Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

A Couple Before & Afters

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 497 Total Views
1 mom liked this

We're working on our library/office.  I wanted to bring in some more color, so I decided to line the backs of the bookshelves.  I used wrapping paper and spray adhesive.  I used that color, b/c it's in the art and a couple other pieces.  The walls are going to be gray when we're done.

Before

After

If you're wondering about the waffle syrup tin, there's a name connection, and dh can't stand to NOT buy something that has his name on it, lol.  And I got my homemade drapes in the shot.  It's a drop cloth, that I painted stripes on.  I saw some on the Pottery Barn website for $100/panel.  These were $11 for the drop cloth (I used 2), and $2.99 for the paint sample (I used 3).

Here's the art that I pulled the color from.

I bought these lamps from Goodwill for $3.99 each, I spraypainted them, and bought shades.  They seemed a little short, so I put them on upside-down plant pots.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WesleysMom23
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM
3 moms liked this
Love it all. Small changes make a big difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
auntietotty
by Admin on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Very nice! You always do neat things. I love the lamps too!

Spraypaint is awesome!

Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks great!!

3.ang3ls
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Really cute stuff. I love your creativity.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof6nokc
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this

You have really great style!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momof6nokc:

You have really great style!

I second that! 

sweetleanne
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

How creative!! Looks good!

Mommyof2114
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Very nice. How did you do the curtains?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM

There were different sized drop cloths, so I bought the ones that were the closest size to the window.  I ironed them, then hung them on drapery clips to figure out what length I need to get rid of.  I went to the floor, then left a couple inches so I could hem them.  Then, with that all figured out, I took them down and laid them on the floor.  I measured down 6 inches from the top.  That's where I figured I wanted the first stripe to start.  I drew short little lines, all the way across, measuring 6" down each time.  Then I took blue painters tape, and laid it down all the way across, on the line I drew.  Then I measure down 12 inches, b/c I decdided that's how wide I wanted each stripe.  Then I measure 8 inches down, b/c that's how much space I wanted between stripes.  Repeating with the tape after each measure. Then, I painted in between the 12" apart stripes.  I added fabric medium to regular latex, water-based, wall paint.  I found out the hard way, that even though they're drop cloths, and paint shouldn't seep through, that when you really pile the paint on, it DOES seep through.  Onto my floor :-(    It came off with a bit of elbow grease though.  The curtains aren't perfect...i went over the tape in a few spots..but they look pretty good if you don't get up close with and examine them, lol.  AND, the price was right :D

ps...it's tricky with the stripes, to remember if you're taping off the space, or the stripe, and exactly where the tape should go..beware, b/c I had to redo one at the beginning before I figured that out.

Quoting Mommyof2114:

Very nice. How did you do the curtains?

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:39 AM

lol, yep...I swear I keep Krylon in business!

Quoting auntietotty:

Very nice! You always do neat things. I love the lamps too!

Spraypaint is awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)