Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

rearranging playroom/family room/dining UPDATED

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 472 Total Views

on the left side of the house we have a long room  that is supposed to be a family room and formal dining room (the ceiling sections its off. looks like a hidden metal beam). we are only here for 36 months so we are not going to get a formal dining set however our hutch for our kitchen table is in there (it wouldnt fit in our kitchen due to a light switch being about 6" too far right.) it also has a credenza in there because i dont know where to put it. it might even go down into storage.

between the dining area and playroom against the wall of the stairs is a couch (it use to be in our living room but we went otu and bought everything new so now its a junk couch that will most likely get thrown away for the next move.). above the couch in the middle of the wall is our thermastat (stupid place for it). across for it is my girls desk. and then in the front of the room is there playroom.

my problem is you can see their playroom from the front door. it gets VERY messy in there and well its embarrassing to open the door and people see mess. i was thinking about setting up the playroom as whats its supposed to be (family room.) we have green wing chairs down in the basement and end tables. and then move the playroom to the back of the house where the dining room is. i just dont know how to set it up. i would want the hutch more so in the family room because it can shake when the kids run past it.

how do i set this  up and make it look nice?
from the front door BEFORE

AFTER

front of the playroom looking into the dining room BEFORE

AFTER

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AndreaAnna
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
You seem to have the same struggle I have.. I think putting the playroom in the dining room would look great! Maybe the two green chairs opposite the green couch? The hutch would look good where the green couch is.;) hope this was a lol help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gilbertgrl627
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Is there a TV in the family room? Our dining room is the playroom (for now) since the kids have a ton of toys. Our breakfast area is pretty big, and we fit perfectly (family of 5, we've fit 12 in the dining room/breakfast area). What if you move the toys to where the dining area is, and turn the couch so that it almost forms a....barrier between the family room and playroom/dining room? Then, move the hutch into the "family room" and center it between the front wall and the couch (like the desk in the first picture. The two chairs that are in the "dining room" can be moved into the "family room", along the front wall (I'm assuming in front of the windows).

That way, you have a sitting area/family room, and a playroom that you won't immediately see (and by that I mean all of the toys). If you're looking for ideas on toy storage, I use old diaper boxes and duct tape. lol. Not for everything, I do have a bookcase and big toy box, but for little things (dollhouse toys, my youngest's baby toys, dress up stuff).

blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I would put the couch where the white desk currently is with the basement end tables at each end and a large piece of art centered over the couch. This will create a pretty focal point for the room and for people at the door to see. I'd put the console table where the couch is under the thermostat and hang a mirror over to create an entryway table on the stair wall.
As far as the hutch goes, I would leave it where it is and pack up or move the hutch worthy breakables for now and turn the hutch into playroom storage to keep the smaller toys organized and out of sight when not in use. It's also easy for the kids to clean up with the totes. I've done this exact thing and it was a Godsend. I used small canvas totes with handles from Walmart. I think they were 5.00 each and they have label holders on the front so you can either write what goes in each (markers, playdough, toy cars, Barbie dolls, etc.) or put a clipart pic of items if your kids don't read yet. Go with fun colors that match your decor on the baskets. When they are no longer needed in the playroom, they can be repurposed to bedrooms or laundry room for clean folded clothes. If you are still worried about the contents rattling or the hutch falling, use an anti tip safety bracket to latch it to the wall.
The chairs from the basement will do nicely to round out the seating area. They can float in the center of the living area facing the window. Place them together slightly angled inward towards each other. The play area will then be sort of hidden from the living area. You could even go as far as hanging a 95 inch set of drapes from a ceiling mounted rod to divide the spaces. Be sure if you do this to get neutral solid panels so you can take them with you when you leave and they'll work most anywhere.
The white desk can go where the console table currently is to serve as the playroom art table/study desk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

These are what I have used in my china cabinet/hutch. I put several of them in the bottom to store office supplies. I still display crystal in the top glass portion, so it's both decorative and functional. We have turned our dining room into an office but left the hutch because I can't bear to get rid of it. The amount of display and storage is wonderful. Plus, we kept the dining table but put it in the living room right around the corner from the dining room. When needed (about twice a year) we can put it back in the dining room to use for large family gatherings. It's on sliders so I can move it myself very easily.

Mainstays 3-Pack Medium Bins

Here is a pic of mine.

MomVsBoys
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I found this on Pinterest a while ago, I knew someday I'd find a place where someone could use it.  I know it's not much help as far as furniture placement but I feel your "badly-placed-thermostat" pain.

Pinned Image

MomVsBoys
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM

What about using the couch as a room divider? It would help hide some of the mess (toys) from the front door, you could put some cubbies behind the couch with baskets for small toy storage, an inexpensive area rug in the center of the play area for the kids table to protect the carpet if they do messy crafts of any kind.  In the family room you could put the sofa table below the themostat and hang artwork above.

This is a fantastic use of a small amount of wall space - and the white on white frame designs really seems to open things up! Plus, it totally disguises the thermostat hanging right in the center :-) Smart thinking! Have you worked to camouflage an unsightly alarm or thermostat with a grouping of custom framed art before?!?Help hide the ugly thermostat...Using a framed quote is a wall idea and so are the frames with no glass!wall of l's - use your initial and hang a grouping of them for a personalized gallery wall {plus, this disguises the thermostat & light switch!}

Hope this helps. :)

MomVsBoys
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I've been waiting to see if you figured out what you want to do yet. Post some pics when you're done :)

penneylane
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

i did figure it out.  ill post later when i have time to hook up my phone. all i need now is some art to hang over the credenza and to hang up my pictures. what i have hanging now isnt staying up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)