Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Painting/Refinishing Laminate?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 286 Total Views

I have a huge desk, it's laminated wood. I want to get rid of it and get something smaller but I cannot find anything that is in my price range in the style/color I want.

The desk is in good shape. It serves it's funtion as both my computer space, a display (with the hutch) and my sewing space as it has a HUGE desk portion.

Well as my birthday gift I am getting my computer room/sewing room redone. Originally I planned to sell the desk and get a computer desk and then a long desk/table for sewing but there is NOTHING out there that wouldn't need refinishing.

So, has anyone refinished laminated wood? It's currently a honey oak color. I would like to paint it black.

IF I did this, would my surface be as durable? This desk now takes everything. It's high quality laminate and a STURDY desk. I can leave cold drinks on my desk without any problems, it's  great.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
psych_mom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I think there are specific primers that you can use on surfaces like this. It has to be a high tack primer if I remember correctly.

pristine729
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM
I'm not sure, I messed mine up :( Here's a bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
liveforever
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I just saw something about painting laminate on pinterest.

It said to lightly sand the surface, paint, and then apply some special finishing coat. Ill try to find the link for you.

liveforever
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok so there are tons of links but this one looked pretty good.

The majority of them say to lightly sand the surface. Prime (some say to lightly sand the primer too) then paint. Some stopped at the paint, some put a poly coat on for added durability.

BeachMommy07
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Ask Home Depot or Lowes painting department. I think it has to be a certain primer.

supermama322
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this

We just did dressers! We thoought they were wood but upon getting them home.. Realized they were laminate mostly. The drawers are solid wood, except the drawer faces.

We didn't sand anything at all. We used a good quality speed primer. We are SUPER happy with the results and it was easy. :)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:21 AM
I got rid of the desk and just bought another one. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:47 AM

I wouldn't paint.  I had hubby build a little desk in the laundry room in counter-top material.  It's working great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)