Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

refinsh dining set

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 259 Total Views

has anyone done this? pictures? my set is 40 years old and needs to be either redone or replaced. i was thinking about making this my spring or summer project. is it hard to do or just time consuming? i was thinking about doing the wood stained top and seats of chairs and painting the rest either white or black. i'd have to do a buffet/hutch to match it

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I was thinking about doing the same. Never done it before. Mine is real heavy oak.

catwoman123456
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM

It is time-consuming but definitely worth it. I refinished a bedroom set from the 50's (headboard, long dresser and two nightstands) in a wood stain that I liked since they were a very dated gold swirl. Sanded them down thoroughly and sprayed them (gives more even coverage) then shellacked it after it dried for a durable finish and a more polished look.You can't beat the quality or craftmanship of older furniture - save it whenever you cancat

caham
by Owner on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM

The one I currently have, we had professionally redone when I bought it. I did recover the chair cushions myself. I am going to sell mine soon, as I am going to completely redo my dining room!

Christine - Group Owner Home Decor and So Much More!

Looking to get your Sexy Back? In as little as 45 Minutes, I can show you how!! Message me for more details. https://christinecunningham.myitworks.com/

patnic
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Mine is old too - 1960s.  I'm way too chicken to do myself.  I'm leaving it up to the professionals.  Gotta save the $$.

Would love to see your pics with before and after.

Good luck!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Never done a diningroom set, but have done 2 dressers and bookcase.
What kind of wood is it? If its a nice hardwood, like msple or cherry, go for it! If its not and from a point where they used veneers then it isnt wirth sanding and staining... at that point u may want to lite sand and paint then poly. I have done this to a hutch and sideboard.
if is is good wood but stained dark, youll need to strip it ( stinky!) sand a bit then restain and poly.
U tube is really helpful gor following steps and to see what ur looking to do, how time consuming.
Wishing u tons of luck! Its fun!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
penneylane
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM

its maple. this was my grams set so it has some sentimental meaning for me if i can save it i want to save it. the finish has come off in a few stops and really bad on the chairs. also in the spring i have to refinish the top of a 1940s dresser that my dd has. the rest of that looks ok minus a couple spots but the top is a must do. maybe ill start with that to get my feet wet.

psych_mom
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM

If you do the painting part with chalk paint that should be a little easier. Also a nice trick is to use a good liquid sander instead of hand sanding before you start painting and staining. With the chalk paint, you don't have to worry about sanding it though, just the staining area.

Steph75
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM
It's really just time consuming. At least it isn't painted, so sanding it shouldn't be too bad. You should share a picture of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN