Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Kids' School/Art Work And Important Papers, Etc.

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 165 Total Views

I know that it's up to us, but just trying to get some advice, opinions, etc. - and I know that's all that opinions are -- just opinions.    lol    = ) 

In the past, DH and I have talked about this topic before and we only have 1 child - a daughter who turned 12 on Wednesday, 2/20.  What school and art work/papers do we keep, should we keep and so on? Do we want to keep as much as possible?  Or do we just want to keep the "cutest of the cute" (as my DH words it)  and her best school papers?   And what would be the best way to keep said items?  As of right now, we have a big, pink plastic (like Rubbermaid) tote and just been putting most papers in there, and some papers in folders, and then putting the folders in there as well.  And we're trying to decide which items of hers should we keep doing it that way and then which ones should go in any kind of frame.   

I know, I know - we're probably putting too much effort and thought into this, right?   Some people may think we're trying to make something more complicated than what it should be.    lol     simple smile

And we just have an "only" child.  I wonder what people with more than 1 do about this kind of thing.  

Thank you

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mariaej24
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention - is that really, whose benefit is it for anyway to keep these things?  Ours or hers?   hee hee hee    And another thought we've talked about, is since she is now 12, maybe to also include her in the decision making if she wants to keep all these papers and art work, etc. or which ones does she want to keep or don't want to keep

MeridaMomma4
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I have 4 kids ages 22, 15, 10 & 8 so I have had a long time to come up with ways to keep them :) our favorite is having a family yearbook that we add to everytime they bring home work, art, report cards, awards,pics or souvenirs, I usually write something to go with it and leave it on our coffee table so the kids or visitors can look through it anytime ...also I have alot of their art hanging in our mudroom/art gallery lol, i just switch it out every so often
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetleanne
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm a fan of the book idea and best work in a portfolio idea.

keriley1
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom has  tubs for both me and my sister spilling over with stuff from our school days. She kept everything except for like workseets that were just kind of boring and random. Every paper we ever wrote, every art project everything else she has.

blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a small to medium sized lidded tub for each family member lined up on a closet shelf. I stick keepsakes and school papers in throughout the year as needed. When one gets full, I empty it into a large lidded tote that I keep in the attic. I have heard and like the idea to take pictures of the less special pieces and save to a separate flash drive for each child. That would sure take up less space!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
my2sweetjoys
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I am glad you asked this question as since we have moved so many times over the years, I have lost a lot of DD's artwork.I kept a few things each year from each grade and now that I am starting over with DS who is 5, I will use these great ideas to display things each year.

I am laminating some of his artwork that he has made for holidays for decorations.It has the year on the back and it looks cute as we decorate the mantle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)