Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

switch-a-roo for my son's room

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 249 Total Views

I have 4 bedrooms and 1 kid.
The room we designated for my son (6) has huge walk in closet and big bay window- (which does have a tree in front of it- so it isnt light or bright) . It is star wars theme at his rquest with some matted posters, sheets, twin bed and twin frame.

about 2 months ago, he started asking to sleep in what we call "the computer room".  Which has a queen size bed for guests, 2 big windows (no tree), bookcases, a desk and computer.  It has 2 big glass double doors, no closet and basically- no privacy.

Ive asked him and he likes the big bed... and he likes that there is no closet. At 6, the closet is freaking him out. LOL...

He wants to switch rooms, BUT, I dont really LOVE the idea!
 I KNOW he wants the bigger bed (so, I have a twin bed for guests... honestly, we rarey have house guests..maybe 3 or 4 times a year.) Ill have to change the rooms around... get rid of some of the star wars stuff...he WONT have a closet in the "computer room"-- so all his clothes will remain in the walk in IN the OTHER room????.... and I KNOW ina few years he will want the other room back since this room doesnt have a real door... and what TEEN wont want a door?

Should I suck it up and move him? I mean.... it isnt a big deal...buI dread having to move him back an forth and back.... KWIM?

I guess I dont like how disjointed it will all be. What would you do?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I would go for it, but I dont mind doing things like that...Since it is a big room, could you get an amoire to use as a closet in his new room? The no door issue could be solved ( if YOU) would feel better about it with some boy themed beaded curtains...or even just a pair of regular curtains tied back and then be able to let down when privacy is an issue....or just do what he asks....it is all on your shoulders for the move....smile, Mom, it gets better as they grow.....keep us updated....
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM

No beaded curtains or curtains of any kind hanging- based on hubbys allergies-. Maybe I could get frosted glass inserts (or stickey frosted paper) to put onto the doors... (But they are gorgeous cherry wood... and I HATE to do that.) but I get your point about something temporary.
Not sure about it getting better. My son is specail needs and I am feeing qute overwhelemed at the moment. but thanks.... I sincerely appreciate the input.

Quoting QuiltLover:

I would go for it, but I dont mind doing things like that...Since it is a big room, could you get an amoire to use as a closet in his new room? The no door issue could be solved ( if YOU) would feel better about it with some boy themed beaded curtains...or even just a pair of regular curtains tied back and then be able to let down when privacy is an issue....or just do what he asks....it is all on your shoulders for the move....smile, Mom, it gets better as they grow.....keep us updated....

sweetleanne
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I wouldn't. My two girls changed rooms, and within 3 months they wanted their old rooms back. (What a pain, moving the clothes back.)

TheJerseyGirl
by Admin on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:00 AM

I had 4 bedrooms but one without a closet, and 3 kids that needed their own rooms...ACK! We put a white wardrobe/armoire in my daughter's room and then eventually built a closet. But she used the wardrobe for years...maybe something like that?

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Nope.  I wouldn't do it.

blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
We made our "computer room" with no closet and two sets of french doors into a bedroom for my niece when she moved in with us for a few months. Before being the computer room it was our formal dining room and had a large hutch with storage on bottom behind doors and glass front display. I bought canvas baskets and lined the shelves with them for her clothes and emptied the display part so she could display her collectibles.

I used a product I found at Lowes in the window shade aisle to frost the panels of the French doors for privacy. It was completely temporary (no stickiness - applied with water and dishsoap) and worked wonderfully. Came off with absolutely zero damage to the doors.

I would probably have said no to the move if your son didn't have special needs (mine does too) but if that's what it takes to make his life and your lives a little better and easier, eh, why not?! We have to pick our battles.

On another note, if it's mainly the closet he's afraid of in his present room, you could try removing the door so monsters can't hide in there. If it needs to go a step further to make it less scary, you could set it up as the coolest boy fort ever with floor pillows and/or a beanbag chair, a small shelf for his books, a lamp, some wall clings, etc. Bring the Star Wars theme in and make it a fun place to play and lounge rather than a dark closed off, foreboding place he's scared of. Have a sleepover in there with him, serve snacks, etc. It might just make that room so fun he won't want to move cause the computer room doesn't have a cool fort just for him!

Oh, and maybe upgrade to a double bed for him if the closet trick works!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I say go for it.  If the closet is freaking him out, maybe it'll help having him sleep in the computer room and then just switch him back when he is ready for a door.  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)