Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

large home, clean slate, no money - where to begin

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 22 Replies
  • 498 Total Views

In less than two weeks, DH and I will close on our first home. I’m very excited, but I have no clue where to even begin. Right now, we live in a 1000sq/f apartment. We have one couch, a camping chair, two book cases, a small kitchen table, a broken dresser, and two beds. Besides pots and pans, that’s all that we have.

The house we’re buying is a beautiful 3bd, 2.5bath, 1800sq/f home, with a gorgeous sun room. The house is begging to be decorated but we don’t have anything, or any extra money, to decorate with.

Luckily, with spring here we can start hitting up garage sales.

I’m just curious - if you had a large house, very few 'essentials', and a very small budget what would you focus on first?

Would you rather put the money into decorating the living room, kitchen, sun room, guest bathroom, master bedroom/bathroom, guest bedroom, etc.?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tnlizard
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Just my opinion....I'd do the room first where your company would see....I'd decorate the living room.... I bet my mom would disagree with me...I can remember when I was a kid and we moved into a new house...our living room was vacant for awhile.

Any way...look at thrift stores too...goodwill, etc...sometimes you can pick up a piece of furniture and repurpose it...add a little paint, and other touches...and it turns into a beautiful addittion to your home.   Congrats on your first home!

scorpiobabes
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I was in that dilemma at one time-and I used Freecycle to furnish my home. I scored a couch, some lamps, a set of coffee table and 2 end tables, small appliances for my kitchen, and a set of bedroom furniture for dd's room-even got rugs, a bed frame when mine broke and a headboard-even more! But that was about 10 years ago too-not sure if FC is the same anymore.
QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM
3 moms liked this

I would do the room I spent the most time in...whether it be the kitchen, living room, bedroom....one room at a time...buy only what you love or that which makes you smile when you look at it.

sweetleanne
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Congrats! First set a goal in style and budget. I like to look at the model homes to see the basics and what size furniture looks good in a 1800 s.f. home. Consider easy dusting when picking wood pieces, not to many end tables and matchly furniture sets. Keep the color scheme simple with a little pattern in pillows and art. If I had to do all over, I would do something like this without all the fancy moulding:   

Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I would definitely concentrate on one room at a time. And i would choose the LR first, then probably my bedroom, but that's me. GL and I am happy for you.

You could also try Freecycle or Craigslist too!

Clubpenguin
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I was taught the bedrooms and kitchen first because you need to eat and sleep.
patnic
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I would concentrate on the kitchen and living/family room.

Be sure to hit estate sales.  I cannot wait until next September and both boys will be at school.  I'm hitting all the local estate sales!

Colter
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I would do the living room, because that is where everyone spends the most time.  

BEXi
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Thirft stores are the BEST! You can reupholster things if need be..  I have found getting stuff like furniture from good wills are extremely fun fixer uppers. Especially for beginners like myself.

BEXi
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I would also focus on the rooms that guests will see more often; living room, kitchen and bathrooms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN