Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are these type of desks called?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

I have a desk that closes like this. Mine is much bigger than the one above, but I was wondering what these kind of desks were called, if anything?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomOfTwins789
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Roll top desk
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
clockwatcher
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM

The desk pictured looks like a child's roll top desk. My husband had one just like it. I do have an adult size one, I guess you'd say it's a small desk. It's not a full size one, not practical to do any work on but it looks nice.

deadlights86
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Roll top desk my mom has one that I would love to have but its in horrible shape I'm not even sure if the drawers open anymore.

BEXi
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Roll top! Thank you. I have a full sized one in my living room that i may be painting black. :)
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
2 moms liked this
My parents have a large roll top desk they bought new and paid thousands for. They had a decorative liquid barometer sitting on top and it exploded during the night throwing whatever liquid was inside all over the desk. By the time they discovered it, the liquid had soaked in and discolored it and it was basically ruined.

I had heard about the Mayo trick for removing water rings on wood and suggested it to mom. It took a whole jar of mayo and several applications on each area but it completely restored the desk and it looks like new again.
Bmat
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I love roll top desks. I didn't know about the mayo trick. I have a desk that has a water ring, maybe I'll try this.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM

This:

Quoting MomOfTwins789:

Roll top desk

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Roll top desk

blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM
You just put a thick coating of mayo on the spot and let it sit for a while...can't remember the timeframe...not hours but not just a few minutes...then wipe off with a dry rag and buff it. You might have to do it more then once.

Quoting Bmat:

I love roll top desks. I didn't know about the mayo trick. I have a desk that has a water ring, maybe I'll try this.

kellynh
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Great idea!! 

Quoting blondepegasus:

You just put a thick coating of mayo on the spot and let it sit for a while...can't remember the timeframe...not hours but not just a few minutes...then wipe off with a dry rag and buff it. You might have to do it more then once.

Quoting Bmat:

Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)