Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Surprising the difference a corner makes :) (pics)

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 607 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I was chosen for an outdoor living influcencer for Kmart and my DH and I took the gift card and made it to the Kmart in the next town over and went shopping.  We had one corner outside in mind.  It used to have a little fence and a big bush and the bush died and the fence fell down and it's been just ugly nothingness ever since.

So, we wanted to spruce it up with flowers and anything else we found.  We were a bit disappointed in the selection of flowers.  The majority of them were half dead and so dry it looked like they were never watered.  But, we managed to find a couple we truly liked.  We also bought two hens and chickens in red pots plus a stand for our flowers.  We realized that our corner would need more dirt and new mulch, so we got that as well, and found a really nice pot for one of our flowers.  So the loot was:

• 2 potted plants/flowers
  • 2 hens and chickens
  • 1 large clay pot
  • 1 2-tier plant stand
  • 1 bag of dirt
  • 2 bags of cocoa bean shells natural mulch (mmmm...smells like CHOCOLATE!!)
  • 1 bag of Miracle Gro potting soil

Not bad for about $80!!

On to the pictures!!

This is our corner - BEFORE:

This is DURING - what great helpers!:

The post is left over from the fence - and it is also used to hold the flag pole, so DH said it had to stay.

This is AFTER:

We're planning on figuring out something else for the flag.  Those pavers were ones we already had and just moved them here.

What do you think?!

Now we need to work on the rest of the front walkway - first step.  Get RID of the awful Hostas!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2ArfarasMom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM
That's a big difference! It looks great, well done
michiganmom116
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I love it!

jsbuck
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Very nice.

sweetleanne
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Very nice, love the plantstand and flower pots. 

ChicatSixty
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Send the hostas to me! (Wait until it cools off...right now, it is 97 OUTDIDE in the middle of the night. It is hot here in the summer...we've had weeks of +105 weather, with a week of +110. Now it is just regular hot at around 103 from the time the sun comes up until it goes down.( But really, I would love hosts in pots on my veranda. We have misters and it is in heavy shade...it is just HOT shade without the misters!

You might think about getting some kind of low groundcover that smells good, but you did a wonderful job! Looks great!

QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Looks good, I might add a light to give it a neat look when it becomes dark...the corner is amazing....clapping for your hard work....

tnlizard
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Looks really good.

Rushn311
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:08 AM

That's beautiful!

TheJerseyGirl
by Admin on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Nice!

IUMer
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Great job! I love it! What is that black sheeting you put down? Is it like mesh? Or plastic? I'm glad you included that step to help remind me to do that. It looks really good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)