Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New sectional...looking kind of empty

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 550 Total Views

I just got a new sectional. I originally purchased it thinking that it would go in our family room, but it ended up looking terrible so I switched it with the living room couches. Well, the living room couches look fantastic in their new location, but the sectional looks a little...uh....bland. I'm not regretting buying it because I really wanted to have two different kinds of couches, but I'm also not entirely satisfied yet. 

Anyway, I will upload a picture below. If anyone can make any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks! 

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady_katie
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM

This is a long room (24 x 12) with a tall ceiling (12ft I think?). There's some space on the other side of the couch. I need something to balance the space, but I really don't know what. 

Also, I tried putting the couch in different positions around the room and this was the best one. 

Mobile Photo

goddess99
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I Love it.

lady_katie
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Thank you! 

Quoting goddess99:

I Love it.

goddess99
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I have large metal vases sitting on the floor on either side of my couch and they have different sticks in them. Similar to this.

aurora.dove
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

The sectional is beautiful, I think you just need some artwork to accent the furniture.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Area rug? It feels like it needs to be grounded more.. Am thinking cause its dark, and your floors are light.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Btw I also LOOOVVVEEE the sectional. Looks awesome! Timeless, classic.. Excellent choice! 

lady_katie
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Thanks, I'm super excited about it! And yes, you're right, I need an area rug. I think I will go with something lighter than the floors. I just can't decide between something "fluffy" or something patterned. 

Quoting SamMom912:

Btw I also LOOOVVVEEE the sectional. Looks awesome! Timeless, classic.. Excellent choice! 

lady_katie
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm surprised to say that I really like that!! I never pictured myself being a "vase" person, but I love the way that looks. I definitely need somthing tall at least. Thanks! 

Quoting goddess99:

I have large metal vases sitting on the floor on either side of my couch and they have different sticks in them. Similar to this.

blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:56 AM
3 moms liked this

The new sectional is gorgeous! I think you just need to fill in the blanks now to bring everything together. The area rug will really warm things up, ground the seating area, and add some texture. A large piece of art centered over the sofa will add color and personality and life. The piece there now is much too small. I would swap out the throw pillows that match the sectional with some large, colorful ones that contrast it.  I also think a much larger table lamp would make a world of difference. Balance is key. You have this large sectional and ottoman and all of your accessories are tiny in comparison. Have fun continuing your decorating journey!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)