Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Inspiration for DS12's room

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 282 Total Views

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

DS12 needs his room re-done as his current one is getting a bit young for him.
DS loves Boy Scouts, camping, fishing, hiking, the mountains....basically anything that has to do with being in the wilderness. I found this quilt while in Colorado a few weeks ago. DS loves the quilt, wanted me to buy it, but has no interest in redecorating his room, LOL

So my question...what color walls? Would you do an accent wall in the blue from the quilt??? Any other fun ideas?

Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetleanne
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I love the quilt! I like the idea of the cabin look for the room. Warm colors on the wall and rustic decorations, such as bear rug , and paddles on the wall. Some thing like these photo's:

This last photo showes a blue backround and some other print mixing that works nicely too.

decor42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I would stay with a neutral color on the walls and add color with accessories, artwork etc... Since he is only 12 there is a chance that his interests may change.  In saying that, working with neutral colored walls would make it easier to change out bedding etc... I love the outdoor look.  My last camper had this theme and it fit in perfect with my 5 sons and the location of our private camp. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

what about that soft green from the quilt on the walls? Green/gray can be a neutral... :) Id keep it less decor, but more about stuff he loves.. like maybe put up a few scout things- a shelf for trophies (or what ever they give u in scouts... sorry... lol.. Im NOT outdoorsey that way..) maybe some pictures of him on hikes, camping, fishing, or fishing gear/ nets he owns to hang on the wall- but use when needed... maybe just use the colors in the quilt,.. a black wrought iron (SP?) lamp, or bedframe... a wooden stool painted that pretty blue from the quilt as a nightstand... some books about camping/hiking on a wooden bookshelf?

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM

this reminds me of a place in the Adirondaks in NY ..lol... you should check out the rooms at lake placid lodge.. they may have some nice ideas for you... :)

momof6nokc
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I plan on having this photo made into a huge canvas for his wall. Love the blue furniture ideas! Thank you!
decor42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Lake Placid is absolutelybeautiful. I have been there a couple of times.  It has been a few years but some great memories. There are some adorable cottages along Lake Champlain that are decorated in the outdoors/woods theme. Expensive though. I agree that adding decorative useful items would work well.  A net used for the window treatment, oars /paddles as a curtain rod, binoculars and a canteen arrangement on a shelf, snow shoes on the wall. I am a true outdoors person and live in a municipality that is in the county seat.  We have more cows than people.

Quoting SamMom912:

this reminds me of a place in the Adirondaks in NY ..lol... you should check out the rooms at lake placid lodge.. they may have some nice ideas for you... :)

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Love LP. 

Hubby and I got married in vt at an inn... Logistically we couldnt fly anywhere for our honeymoon ( we went to rio mar in pr 3 weeks b4 wedding.) so after wedding we went to lp lodge for 5 days. Totally decadent! :) 

Quoting decor42:

Lake Placid is absolutelybeautiful. I have been there a couple of times.  It has been a few years but some great memories. There are some adorable cottages along Lake Champlain that are decorated in the outdoors/woods theme. Expensive though. I agree that adding decorative useful items would work well.  A net used for the window treatment, oars /paddles as a curtain rod, binoculars and a canteen arrangement on a shelf, snow shoes on the wall. I am a true outdoors person and live in a municipality that is in the county seat.  We have more cows than people.

Quoting SamMom912:

opinionatedmom
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest did scouts. In one of the ranks they had to tie knots. So as s scout leader I had the boy's do their knots and glued them to poster board. O framed my son's for his room. Maybe a leaf collection. Have him whittle some branches. Frame any scout uniform he has outgrown. Any projects he has made. You get the idea.
opinionatedmom
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Ps buy a lantern and a lamp kit. Turn the lantern into a lamp. Let him do the project.
TheJerseyGirl
by Admin on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:44 AM

My DS is also 12 and has a cabin theme in his room. His walls are a khaki/green, but I'm actually about to repaint them. Pretty much the same color, they just depereately need to be repainted.

I have found so many pictures and other decor items on ebay, yard sales, antique stores, etc...but I definitely think you should choose the deep khaki color in the bedding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)