Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Old fashioned hardwood

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 287 Total Views

My hardwood floors were put down in the early 60's.  They are real wood, with waxed finish.  They are golden red oak color.  For the most part, they are still absolutely beautiful.   Never been sanded or refinished.

We are having a bathroom renovation done currently, and it's almost finished.  With all the tile dust, sheet-rock dust, and the wear and tear of the workers, my floors are starting to show how tired they really are.  

I know there is alot of the cleaners today that you can't used on the waxed floors.   Does anyone have these type, or have any suggestions as to what I can use on them to help clean the construction dirt of them, and restore their beauty?

Water has never touched these floors..I remember my mother always telling me that.   Anyone have any ideas?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sweetleanne
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I don't no, but I did see a beautiful waxed floor that I believe was always re waxed. Here's a bump.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM

The floors probably have a shellac finish and then wax.  My mom would use SC johnson wood paste wax and then buff when the wax dried.  You might want to consider getting them sanded and refinished if they're in horrible shape.

supermom.sv
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I don't know but here is Bump.

psych_mom
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

You can use a solution of 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1 gallon of water with a sponge mop. Make sure the mop is rung out to where it is just damp and barely wet. Mop the floor in the grain of the wood. When it is dry, take a piece of wax paper and attach it to the mop with a rubberband and go back over the floor with it to shine it.

opinionatedmom
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Swiffer it before you do anything. I used to do building remodeled construction. I found that was the best thing for fine construction dust. Works on walls also. Use the dry pads. I use the Swiffer wet pads on my floors, but I don't know how they would effect hardwood.
tnlizard
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting opinionatedmom: Swiffer it before you do anything. I used to do building remodeled construction. I found that was the best thing for fine construction dust. Works on walls also. Use the dry pads. I use the Swiffer wet pads on my floors, but I don't know how they would effect hardwood.

Thanks! This is what I've been using everyday after the crew leaves for the day...Had't thought about using them on the walls..  Thanks for the info!   (I use the dry pads too.)

opinionatedmom
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 3:42 PM
I figured it out on a McDonald's remodeling. We went to wash the walls with soap and water. I was smearing mud. I told the foreman to get Swiffer. It cut our time by at least 3/4. And with the pole, I didn't have to drag a ladder around. Works great. Beats smearing mud for hours and washing the same spot 4-5x.

Quoting tnlizard:

Quoting opinionatedmom: Swiffer it before you do anything. I used to do building remodeled construction. I found that was the best thing for fine construction dust. Works on walls also. Use the dry pads. I use the Swiffer wet pads on my floors, but I don't know how they would effect hardwood.

Thanks! This is what I've been using everyday after the crew leaves for the day...Had't thought about using them on the walls..  Thanks for the info!   (I use the dry pads too.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)