Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Why did you buy/rent the house you live in?

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM
  • 42 Replies
  • 417 Total Views

We bought our house because we fell in love and we could close fairly quickly on it.

My husband switched jobs from area to another almost 7 years ago. We were forced to put our other house on the market and look for a new house. We spent two full days looking at houses and this was the last one on our list. It was more than we had wanted to spend but it fit our needs and we were able to get the price down 10K.

We would love to sell it and buy something with more land but it's not in the cards for us right now....maybe some day.

by on May. 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM

The price was good, the sellers were covering part of closing costs, it was on the flats and close to a park, fenced yard, three bedrooms and a wood stove

suroundedbyboys
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM
We moved in here to take care of my grandma is 2009. After 6 months she passed away unexpectedly. We decided to buy the house from the estate, so we are buying over a 10 year period with no interest. We sold our house we previously owned, basically breaking even on it. At the end of this year we are 5 year down, 5 years left. We will own our house free and clear when our oldest child is 14, hubs will be 39 :)
I definitely have things I don't love about the house, but yeah, can't beat it.
mnmo3bb
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I really like the layout, it was also the newest in our price range lol and the association fee was the lowest...

snowangel1979
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Basically the land and neighborhood.
We looked at a lot of houses. Most were in town on a lot or if they were more rural it was in a big school district.

This one had 6 acres out in the country in a smaller district I didn't mind.

The house isn't exactly my dream home but It's mine. LOL. Plus even though it needed some work, the price was right. We've been her 5+ years, we are hoping to have it paid off within another 5 years. The house is worth over 3 times what we paid for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM

We were living with my inlaws and took the first one that would take us

campingmomof4
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I own the house I live in.   It will be 18 yrs this November that I have lived here.  Raise my 4 kids in this house.   My husband passed away last year.   I did consider selling it.   Then decided even thou it is a big house I would miss living here.   So for now I am staying put. 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM

IM sorry for your loss... I cant imagine how hard it would be to leave your home... I know it must be hard to have him missing in it. HUG...

Quoting campingmomof4:

I own the house I live in.   It will be 18 yrs this November that I have lived here.  Raise my 4 kids in this house.   My husband passed away last year.   I did consider selling it.   Then decided even thou it is a big house I would miss living here.   So for now I am staying put. 

We bought our house 17 years ago. i live just outsde NYC.. and when you look at my house, you'd never know it. We have 2 acres of trees that keep us nice and private and surrounded by green trees. We have a little brook and bridge.. Its very secluded and relaxing back here.. our own oasis, 40minutes from NYC.
My hubby and I love the quiet... Weve renovated almost the whole house over these last 17 years.. it had great bones.. but needed updating.. so all the bathrooms and kitchen have been redone.. we added a 2 car garage and master suite.. moved laundry upstairs... (from basement) the beautiful old hardwood floors have remained and the great flow/ layout... I love my house... :)

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM
We rented for years so we could afford to do a shorter mtg and put more down. We loved the yard and kitchen. Too bad we did not know about heroin boys across the street:(
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Oh covering closing costs is a huge bonus. We had to have the electric redone in our house because it was the old knob and tube wiring, so we asked the sellers to cover it and they did. It saved us $5K that we didn't really have.

Quoting othermom:

The price was good, the sellers were covering part of closing costs, it was on the flats and close to a park, fenced yard, three bedrooms and a wood stove

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry about your grandma but that's geat that you will own the home free and clear in 5 years.

Quoting suroundedbyboys: We moved in here to take care of my grandma is 2009. After 6 months she passed away unexpectedly. We decided to buy the house from the estate, so we are buying over a 10 year period with no interest. We sold our house we previously owned, basically breaking even on it. At the end of this year we are 5 year down, 5 years left. We will own our house free and clear when our oldest child is 14, hubs will be 39 :) I definitely have things I don't love about the house, but yeah, can't beat it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)