Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Do You Have a Bad Bathroom?

By agirlandaboy on May. 5, 2014 at 4:35 PM

My California Craftsman house turns 102 years old this year, but the single bathroom looks straight out of the 1980s. We're talking a wall of glass blocks, a hoopty old jetted tub, and turquoise tile as far as the eye can see. When we moved in, I thought it was wacky in a fun and kooky sort of way. Now, seven years later, I think it's just wack.

The thing is, I appreciate, in a theoretical sense, that this bathroom is unique and full of personality. (The backsplash is made of rows of nickels!) Unfortunately, it doesn't reflect our personality--I mean, aside from the fact that we're brave enough to buy a house with a bathroom like this--so I'm always looking for ways to make it feel more like us.

The good news is the bathroom's a pretty decent size, fairly functional for our family, and all of the equipment still works, so I can't complain too much. And yet...although it's not awful, the style has always been a challenge, especially considering we don't have the budget to do any major renovation. (You guys, all the walls are covered with hideous tile, so I can't just spruce it up with a can of paint. We'd need to tear everything out, from top to bottom.)

If this sounds familiar--or maybe you can't renovate because you're living in a rental--stay tuned over the next few weeks as I share tips on how to beautify your bad bathroom on a budget. It can be done!

Do you have a bad bathroom? What would you change about it if you had all the money in the world?

Photo © iStock/jorgeantonio

agirlandaboy About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • clockwatcher
  • by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  • I heard recently on one of the HGTV shows that there is a way to paint your ceramic tile. I think it was one of those "flip" this house type shows, the contractor was talking with the flipper and told him they could resurface everything in the bathroom, from the sink & tub to the tiles. Might be worth a phone call.

• Quote Reply
  • ScrChk23
  • by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM
  • The biggest issue with our bathrooms is that the previous owner made them completely pink.  Pink walls, sinks, toilets, countertops, shower, tiles, and ceiling. 

• Quote Reply
  • SweetLuci
  • by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 8:32 PM
  • The tile in the shower is white with two rows of dark blue. I wish I could change it, but it's still in really good condition, so dh is not interested in doing that.
  • Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)