Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A New Way to Light the Night

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies
  • 3707 Total Views

A few weeks ago, she walked bleary-eyed into the bathroom. It must've been around 2am. From my room down the hall, I heard the shuffle, and then the tears. I had forgotten to turn the bathroom light on before I went to bed. Before I had time to rub the sleep from my own eyes, I was next to her on the tile floor, switching on the overhead light before she had an accident in her pajamas or woke up the rest of the house.

She's nearly five, but doesn't yet have the capacity to switch on the light herself before her brain switches to crisis mode. And when crisis mode activates at 2am, there's no scream-whispering of "just turn the light on!" that's going to be enough. Though she can't manage to flip the light switch, she can somehow manage to stumble her way down the hall to our bedroom and whine "I need to go potty" in a pathetically sleepy voice.

Fast forward to two nights ago, and my mom sense is alerted again. Again, I hear a shuffle and the opening of the door. I hold my breath, foggy brain trying to compute the noises I'm hearing, and wait. I hear the bathroom door creak open slowly, then the tap of little toes on the tile, and middle of the night relief. More shuffling, then the bedroom door creaks open and closes, not to be opened again until the morning.

I smile to myself at the thought of the pale blue illumination of the Kohler Cachet LED Nightlight Toilet Seat, shining helpfully into the darkness surrounding it, lighting the way for the little blond girl that does, in fact, still need a little help in the quiet of the night.

Do your "mom senses" alert you to night time disturbances, or are you blissfully unaware of the little noises?

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Wow!My DS still missed the toilet so I dont think this would help much sadly..lol

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:38 AM
I am very alert at night.
PennOhioBabe
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM
I'm very alert at night. Any little sound and I'm up checking on my kids :)
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM
I swear, I know my kids are awake before they actually wake up. Lol!
goddess99
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I'm kind of alert at night, my dd is a little older and doesn't really need me at night for anything.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I lost that, along with many other "mom senses", when I started raising my grandchild. Now with the great grand, I have none left. Except to not come up swinging when she throws an arm across my face at 2 am.

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I wake up very easily and quickly

Sisteract
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

After years of working the overnight hours, I am good at night. My problem is getting back to sleep.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:42 PM

This is me. :)

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: I swear, I know my kids are awake before they actually wake up. Lol!

.Angelica.
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM

while it's a good idea, my son won't go into a dark room, so he's good about turning on lights. LOL just not turning them off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)