Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a fireplace?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 387 Total Views

I've always wanted a home with a fireplace. Unfortunately, other than a home we rented shortly after we got married, we have never had one. Perhaps our next house will.

Do you have a fireplace? What kind? Do you use it?

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:10 PM

our house does, we've lived here 7 years and I think we used it like twice. it doesn't have an insert so it doesn't do anything to heat the house.

OliviaW.
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM

No but I would love one. 

amy_dawn
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:27 PM
We have a wood stove on the main floor that heats most of the main floor and the second floor when it's going like it should be. Our walk-in basement, which is now a separate apartment, essentially, has a fireplace that heats the bottom and helps heat the two upper floors. We also have two heat pumps for the house for when they are needed.

The one downstairs is a Jotul wood-burning insert. Our wood stove is a Timberline.
JohnnyCakes
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM

When we were house hunting, a fireplace was pretty high on my 'want' list and the house we bought has two. The upstairs one just has a regular wood insert, we used it quite a bit this past winter. The downstairs has a huge cast iron stove insert that is supposed to heat the whole house. We didn't use that one yet because we were renovating that level. Hopefully next winter we can use it to save a few bucks!

My mom and dads house didn't have a fireplace so my dad bought an electric insert and built a mantle. It's obvious it's not real wood but it looks nice. :) 

sweetleanne
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Same here! I wish I had an insert, but the cost is as high as a new heating system.

Quoting .Angelica.:

our house does, we've lived here 7 years and I think we used it like twice. it doesn't have an insert so it doesn't do anything to heat the house.

.Angelica.
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I kind of wish we did, but my childhood house had 2 house fires, first one being because of the fireplace and the second was electrical. So I'm a little uneasy around fire now. LOL And I freak out when multiple light bulbs start burning out around the same time.

Quoting sweetleanne:

Same here! I wish I had an insert, but the cost is as high as a new heating system.

Quoting .Angelica.:

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM

We don't have a fireplace. I don't think I want one. I'd like the mantle or area above the fireplace though lol

mandee1503
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Yes I think it's gas. We don't use it. It doesn't get cold enough here for it.
bhwrn1
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 5:31 AM

We have one but we have a wood stove insert in it. Heats the house much better. Fireplaces suck the heat right out! We use our wood stove all winter long.

kmqw229
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)