Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

Chalkboard paint - but what about whiteboard paint?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 142 Total Views

My dd's room is in the attic, with angled walls. I had thought about doing chalkboard paint on the walls so she could draw - she's 15, and doodles all the time. She has pictures she's drawn taped all over her walls. I plan on hanging a huge bulletin board in there for her to display her art. But want to give her an open "canvas" as well.

I considered the chalkboard, but realized, it's right over her bed, so all the chalk dust would end up on her bed. So that's a no-go.

But do they have whiteboard paint? Then she can draw whatever and change it as often as she'd like. Or if I painted her wall up there white and let her graffitti or colour/paint it however... then if she wants to change it, let her repaint it white again?

Has anyone done this? I know I repainted my bedroom walls a dozen times througout high school, my friends came by, we did sponge painting, paint flicking, you name it, my room was an eclectic mess of colour and paint, lol. My mom let me do it as long as I paid for the paint. The room still has the sponge painting on the walls, and my dad moved into that room as his den, with the baby blue bricks painted on the closet doors still too!

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM
I don't think so but I could be wrong. What about just installing a large white board over it.... ohh or maybe they sell some sort of white board contact/wall paper?
LoriAnn87
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Are you talking about something like dry easer because if you are yes the do have something like that. This is what I find.

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-241140-Erase-Brush-On-White/dp/B000PGBCOC

jewels.unicorn
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for! You rock Mama!! Thank you!

So maybe that will work after all. Buying replacement markers for it will be less expensive than repainting the wall every six weeks, lol.

Quoting LoriAnn87:

Are you talking about something like dry easer because if you are yes the do have something like that. This is what I find.

LoriAnn87
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Quoting jewels.unicorn:

Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for! You rock Mama!! Thank you!

So maybe that will work after all. Buying replacement markers for it will be less expensive than repainting the wall every six weeks, lol.

Quoting LoriAnn87:

your weclome. check out home depot, michael's (if you have one around u), or walmart.

aj23
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Most of the whiteboard paint gets bad reviews so make sure you really checkout anything you consider.

Lowe's carries a dry erase paint kit that's around $100 but it's supposed to be one of the better ones.
Remy11
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM
They sell kits.. Don't skimp on the price for it though.. Get a trusted brand. My husband is professional painter and just did this in a child's room.. It cost a bunch as it was an entire wall but it looked great.. I'll ask what he used if you want?
jewels.unicorn
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Yes, thank you, I don't want to be redoing it next year. I'd like to not spend a pile, but I do want to do it right the first time.

Quoting Remy11: They sell kits.. Don't skimp on the price for it though.. Get a trusted brand. My husband is professional painter and just did this in a child's room.. It cost a bunch as it was an entire wall but it looked great.. I'll ask what he used if you want?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)