Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All white walls?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:54 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 666 Total Views

I have a open floor plan house with cathedral ceilings.  My bedrooms are painted a color, but all other walls and ceilings in my home are solid white, just like when we bought the home 9 yrs ago.   I am thinking about painting some color, but am so unsure.   Does anyone like all white walls?  Pros and cons?  Thanks.

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
campingmomof4
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 3:01 PM

I only have white walls in my hallway and foyer.  Everything else is color walls.  

blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I lived with the white walls that came with my houses for years with no problem. When I got more into decorating several years ago, I began painting the walls in my current home little by little. Now I just have one guest room that still has white walls and it's getting painted this winter.

I can't believe I waited so long to add a little color to my life! I just went with neutral walls like beige, gray, and taupe and added the colors with accessories but it has warmed my home up so much and made it feel inviting
and more "decorated" instead of stark.
Alieda
by Member on Jan. 16, 2015 at 12:43 PM
I have another problem almost every room in our home is painted green with the rest being off white. I want to paint them another color too. I think a little color change in both our homes with do us good.
momof6nokc
by on Jan. 17, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Just go to the paint store and start looking at the color cards.  If you see one you think you like you can get a small sample and paint it on your wall---be sure you paint it in a couple of different spots so you can see what it looks like with full sun hitting it, morning sun, night time, etc.  When choosing paint colors I almost always have 3-4 squares of paint sampled on my walls and will leave them there for a few days until I decide.  I like to paint big squares---2 ft by 2 ft or so---I REALLY want to know if I like the color!  

If I don't like any of them then I go back and get more samples, LOL.  It looks a little wonky for a week or two but will save you from painting your house in a color you later find out has pink undertones, or too much gray, or too dark, etc.

I also tend to go for warmer colors---do you like warm or cool?  That can help you narrow down choices.  My living room, breakfast room and kitchen are all restrained gold.  My upstairs game room is a beautiful color called Irish Cream (I think)---they all tend towards golden hues.  The colors are neutral, warm and are easily updated with accent pieces ie pillows, candles, rugs, etc.

I suggest you get on pinterest and find rooms similar to yours and that you like and then visit the paint store.  Get your samples, start painting squares on your walls, narrow down your choices and then paint one room.  If you like the look of the painted walls then keep going!

olololol
by on Jan. 17, 2015 at 4:30 PM

I absolutely love white walls!

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Jan. 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM

I do not like the unpainted drywall wall look, no. There are so many shades of white that will make a room look polished without having a loud color! 

ScrChk23
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:43 AM
Is there a defined line between the wall and the ceiling? Maybe a picture?
tnlizard
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:02 AM

All my ceilings are ceil white...my walls are all a netural color...not white, leans towards a light taupe maybe?  I add color with rugs and accents.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:23 PM

I think white walls can be beautiful... I think it depends on the room.... But, I don't have any white walls in my house... LOL... But I'm not a fan of crazy color either... I chose lots of natural neutral tones found in nature... Soft gray/blue  (like a Nantucket morning of fog)... A soft yellow (like when you can see the stream of sunlight) sand of the ocean... I also usually try to find a similar color in one or more of the accent peices in the room...to kind of bring out the color in that,,, 

like my master en suite... The tile I chose had a lot of movement with cream, terra cotta, tan grayish and a soft yellow (whoa, that sounds hideous.. But they aren't... LOL) so it was a tough choice looking at swatches to pull out either the cream or the yellow... (Maybe I'll take a pic cause, wow, it's sounding ugly and I don't think it is..ha!) and accent with grey and tan with towels... 

SamanthaSage
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:26 PM

I hate all white walls. So boring and bare looking. We live in a rental and in the bedroom the walls are white. I hate it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)