Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need your help with bathroom vanity lights decision

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:57 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 791 Total Views

Hello Ladies!  I know it's been a long time since I posted, but things have been crazy around here with family drama and you don't want to here about that on this board, trust me on that.  

Anyway, I haven't been doing much decorating, but I finally convinced my hubby to put in that additional electrical outlet in our master bathroom and now we are ALMOST ready to paint (Lake Placid Blue BTW) The only hold up is my vanity mirror and lights.  I want to replace my vanity mirror and lights but here's my issue.  We have a wide oak vanity with a single sink that is off to the left side.  When the house was built (by my hubby) he put a tiny little medicine cabinet above the sink (which I hate).  I want to remove it and put a large flat framed mirror across the width of the whole vanity and lights above.  My issue is what kind of lights do we put above?  Do we go with the standard 3 light vanity light or can we go with individual sconces? and if we do that do we go with 2 or 3?  I'm going for a cottage bath look. If you google "white framed bathroom mirror" you will see a number of different looks many which have the standard vanity lights above.  Some use the individual sconces on either side, but with the doorway on the left of the sink we can't do that.  That's why I'm thinking of doing the individual sconces above, but i'm not sure how that would look.  Any thoughts?  Pictures below.  I'm also thinking of painting the cabinet at some point in the future.  Not sure yet.  

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2015 at 8:22 PM

I'm thinking you need a flat backed fixture... I'd maybe do something like my friend Suggests in her blog. This was my question when we were building our bathroom (house addition 4 years ago) 

https://christinekeatingdesign.wordpress.com/category/bathroom/

i can't make it clicky... Sorry... But it's the second article Mirror Mirror... And those are pictures of my bathroom. Wow, it's famous! LOL... 

I'm also going to look for some pictures on line and post them below... Since you're off center with the sink, I'm NOT sure how I feel about the mirror and light fixture... 

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2015 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2015 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

not-the-momma
by Member on Jan. 24, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Thanks!  The article was very helpful.  I still wish we didn't have the offset sink, that really messes with my OCD, but it is what it is and we don't have the money right now to renovate the bathroom entirely (my wish is to have one of those 4 legged pedestal sinks but that's another lifetime).  

caham
by Owner on Jan. 24, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Do you have an additional overhead light or is this the only lighting for the whole bathroom?

Christine - Group Owner Home Decor and So Much More!

Looking to get your Sexy Back? In as little as 45 Minutes, I can show you how!! Message me for more details. https://christinecunningham.myitworks.com/

not-the-momma
by Member on Jan. 24, 2015 at 5:02 PM

The only other light(s) in the room is an exhaust fan light (dimmer than pic), a small recessed light above the shower which doesn't extend beyond the shower, and natural light from a small NE facing window.  This is one of the reasons I wanted to go with a larger mirror.  I thought it would make the room a little brighter.

annie2244
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2015 at 5:07 PM

You could paint the vanity white, and put up white panels that frame the mirror, put small wall lamps on either side of the mirror, and then a narrow and shallow white wood shelving unit on the right side of the vanity, starting from the vanity up to the height of the top of the mirror.  The outlet would be accessible in the shelving. This would fill out your wall nicely. The top picture above shows an example of a shallow opening shelving unit placed to the right of a sink, the lower picture shows the paneling to go above the sink framing the mirror. These pictures are better seen on houzz.

not-the-momma
by Member on Jan. 26, 2015 at 6:05 PM

I like the idea of the shelving unit, but right now we don't have the money to do any major renovations like that.  My sister did something like that and it looks great!  

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Jan. 26, 2015 at 7:11 PM

I agree, I would get a mirror that was the same size as the vanity, and use the full vanity light over it. 

I picked that lighting set for my downstairs bathroom, I love it :) I think we have 100w bulbs in there right now, it's BRIGHT - I hate dim bathrooms! 

ILovemyPaulie
by on Jan. 26, 2015 at 7:17 PM

I would mirror the whole wall up to the ceiling as wide as the vanity. Have the Glazier cut a small hole in the mirror for wiring and use the 3 light fixture you selected.

You can also get mirrored outlet covers too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)