Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are questions and concerns you asked before buying your home?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 446 Total Views
Homes are a life time. Generations will be shared, memories will be made. So before you make a final decision, what type of questions and concerns did you have?
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetleanne
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Great question!!

1. allergies - I had no idea I was madly allergic to oak tree's which surrounded my home.

2.Sometimes in-home business start up afterwards so it's good to know your zoning laws for growth and explanation.

3. Avoid sunken living rooms, there a trip hazard.

rosebud727
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:42 AM

With disclosure laws it makes it harder to find flaws with homes these days, however if a seller still try to hide things.

School districts in area as well as a crime report.

Noise around the home, when viewing a home for potential purchase, visit it many times at various times of day to see how your new neighborhood is impacted.

Energy bills, we always ask to see them during extreme cold and hot weather months.

Additional special taxes and levys that support specific proposals.

Zoning laws. If you purchase a small house on a large parcel, will you be able to expand?

If you live in a wet area, when was a mold test last done? What about Radon?

My favorite is "why are you selling" and see what the answer may be.

mami286
by on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:55 AM
Excellent questions! Would you say that you are living in your dream home or house you really fought to get? Thank you for the response.

Quoting rosebud727:

With disclosure laws it makes it harder to find flaws with homes these days, however if a seller still try to hide things.

Noise around the home, when viewing a home for potential purchase, visit it many times at various times of day to see how your new neighborhood is impacted.

Energy bills, we always ask to see them during extreme cold and hot weather months.

Zoning laws. If you purchase a small house on a large parcel, will you be able to expand?

mami286
by on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:57 AM
Are you currently staying in the house surrounded with the oak trees? All great responses.

Quoting sweetleanne:

Great question!!

1. allergies - I had no idea I was madly allergic to oak tree's which surrounded my home.

2.Sometimes in-home business start up afterwards so it's good to know your zoning laws for growth and explanation.

Alieda
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:30 AM
I wish we had asked what would the house payment be once the property taxes and insurance are roll in to our mortgage payments. If would have given us a truer picture of the month Bill. Because we look in small size town some of the house had no city sewage hoop up so we always asked about that.
rosebud727
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We are in a transition phase. I really like this house, I like the location and I like its uniqueness. Originally we were in a family home and we downsized to this one. I love the layout and the wonderful entertainment style backyard and how many items are just so much more cost effective.

Since our daughter's are not in the same town as us we may move in another few years to be closer to them as they start their families.

I'm also a bit of a real estate junkie, so there is that. :-)

Quoting mami286: Excellent questions! Would you say that you are living in your dream home or house you really fought to get? Thank you for the response.
Quoting rosebud727:

sweetleanne
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:44 PM

I love my home accept for two months out of the year. In time, it would be nice to vacation during the peak of allergy season. I can't bring myself to cut down the old tree's so I'm living with them.

Quoting mami286: Are you currently staying in the house surrounded with the oak trees? All great responses.
Quoting sweetleanne:

Great question!!

bosmum
by Member on Jan. 28, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Check out the neighbors?
The-Wave
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2017 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Always ask if there is a HomeOwners Association? Some neighborhoods have that . If there is ask how much it is? Is it paid for yearly, quarterly or monthly because that is an added cost. 

Ask about property taxes ? It could be a couple hundred a year or up to 5,000 or more a year. 

Always remember when you see a house how many square feet? The bigger it is the more air conditiong and heating it will cost you to keep cold or warm. Also the bigger the house size the more property taxes you have to pay! 

The bigger the house more cleaning you will have to do unless your kids can help with chores or you plan to have a housekeeper come and clean a few days a week. 

Do the neighbors have huge large dogs that bark all day and night? Will you be able to sleep ? 

Also dont forget to negotiate!!! Never let other people tell you what to offer? You need to research and make an offer you feel comfortable with !

Hope these help. 

patnic
by on Jan. 30, 2017 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish I would have asked about building permits.  They did various changes to the house, but never got building permits.  We have found a lot wrong with the changes..  Flush all the toilets, turn on all the sinks, listen for problems, look for leaks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)