Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Decor and So Much More! Home Decor and So Much More!

camouflage painting tips?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 4357 Total Views
Hi Ladies,
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for painting the walls camouflage? My son decided he wants a camo room. I bought bedding at Cabela's and yesterday I saw that they now have camo window treatments too. Sponge painting pops into my mind- maybe a 2 or 3 shades of mossy type greens?
But I"m not sure if I like the sponge effect. Any ideas, or has anyone seen a camo room before? My son is 5 years old and we live on a few acres. He is always "hunting" turkeys, pheasants, and deer in the back yard. I am hoping to accomplish a little boy, age appropriate, hunting/camo type room. All ideas are welcome and appreciated! Thanks!!!
by on Feb. 11, 2008 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caham
by Owner on Feb. 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM
If you have camo bedding and are thinking of window treatments too, I wouldn't do a paint treatment on the wall or it will be too busy. I think you would be happier with the results by taking a neutral - tan on the wall.

Christine 

Come join my group, Home Decor and so much More

Group Owner: http://www.cafemom.com/group/33465

bluegardenfly
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM
Thank for getting back to me! His room (and the whole house) is tan now. I am hoping to have something more fun for him. I could hold back on the accessories? I don't know. I just want to create a special place for him. We've lived here almost a year now, some of the nutral stuff has to go. Thanks again!
caham
by Owner on Feb. 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM
Try looking here:
http://boysthemebedrooms.com/army/military-camouflage-bedrooms-army-theme-beds.html

Windows and walls

The bed isn't the only place to make your theme shine true. There are also a number of creative touches for the windows and the walls to set off your military camo bedding.

If you're looking for window treatments, you could go with mosquito netting or canvas curtains, or you could find camo curtains and valances. Another idea is to combine the two, perhaps with a camo valance and then canvas for the curtains.

Creams, tans, and whites would be good paint for the walls. Those colors are not only military-influenced, but they're easy to match, especially if you're going with pink or blue camo as opposed to classic green. If you are doing classic green, you can also look to other military uniforms for paint inspiration.

If you're feeling really artistic, consider painting a military mural on one wall. You could have Army tanks or Jeeps rumbling across the wall, or maybe the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima. The potential here is endless.

For wall decorations, consider making a shadow box for your child, especially if you have had friends and family members in the military. A shadow box could include the American flag, G.I. Joe action figures, postcards and pictures from friends and family members in the military, medals or fatigues from older family members, etc. Not only is it a cool decoration, but it can also preserve the memories of your loved ones who have served our country.

2. Furniture. Outfit your barracks in style with furniture that fits the military theme. From bunk beds to locker furniture, your kids can sleep like soldiers — with a lot more comfort.

What active-duty (and kids bring new meaning to that term!) little soldier wouldn’t love this Camo Loft Bed? Complete with space underneath for play and toys, a basketball hoop on the side, and a slide to descend at morning reveille.

Camo Loft Bed

Or if you need space to sleep two, check out this camouflage Jeep Truck Bunk Bed Set. Includes a built-in toy box in the front, “under the hood.”

Jeep Truck Bunk Bed Set

If you need more toy storage, consider this matching Camo Toy Chest to store their growing G.I. Joe collection.

Camo Toy Chest

Or, for furniture that workds double-duty as both seating and storage, check out this Kids Custom Ottoman in camouflage fabric. If your older kids (or hubbies) have G.I. Joes or other military collectibles to keep out of reach of little ones, these ledge shelves work great along the top edge of the room.

For dressers, desks, and accent furniture, go authentic with what many active-duty soldiers use in their own barracks: lockers. Made for heavy-duty use, this furniture holds up the daily assault of your kids and holds an arsenal of toys, clothes, and gear. Available in sleek powdercoat chrome or a variety of colors.

Monster Four Drawer Chest

Locker Room Dresser

Monster Twin Study Loft Bunk Bed

And when they’re playing their favorite military video games, there’s no better way to sit in the trenches than in this Camouflage Video Rocker Chair

Camouflage Video Rocker Chair

or this Camo Beanbag Chair.

Camo Beanbag Chair

3. Wall art. Bring the room together with larger-than-life murals and wall art that express your child’s interests and fit the room’s theme.For starters, honor the country the military serves by hanging an extra-large American Flag Wall Mural or a real American flag.
American Flag Wall Mural

For realistic art that junior soldiers will love, check out these amazing wall murals and borders:

Gravity Prepasted Tank Wall and Military Wall Border

Gravity Prepasted Tank Wall and Military Wall Border

military bedroom ideas wallborder

Military Repositionable Wall Border

Fighter Jets Wall Border

And let kids in on the decorating with these Military Jumbo Wall Accents. Simply peel and stick on walls, windows, dressers, or any flat surface. The best part? They are easy to remove and re-stick somewhere else. (Very helpful if you are a military family that moves a lot!)

Military Jumbo Wall Accents

And this Patriotic Wall Eagle is the perfect addition above a door or headboard.

Patriotic Wall Eagle

4. Accessories. Bring the finishing touches to the room with a few key accessories. From lighting to rugs, consider us your decorating “wingman.” We’ve got you covered.

First, we found several rugs to fit the theme. Depending on the bedding you choose, you can coordinate your rug with a camo or no-camo look.

Camouflage Rug

Camouflage Rug

Camo Rug

Camo Rug

A mosquito net canopy would be a cool addition to this theme for teenage bedrooms. Accessories that can be included are camouflage netting on windows or ceilings, ammo cans for storage, and helmets or canteens as wall art. Check out your local Army-Navy or military surplus store for inexpensive items to make this look complete

Christine 

Come join my group, Home Decor and so much More

Group Owner: http://www.cafemom.com/group/33465

grngoddess
by Member on Feb. 11, 2008 at 12:25 PM
What if instead fo painting the walls you find some great photographs of wildlife.  I think that the bedding sounds nice but sponging the walls is something that everyone gets tired of kinda quickly.  Maybe even paint the walls a darker green color.  My sons room is an outdoorsy type room and I painted the walls a deep green and we love them.
Heres a pic.  His room is a disaster.  We are still hanging up the artwork but you can see the wall color clearly.
Lilypie 6th to 18th TickerLilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
campeno
by Admin on Feb. 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM
I wouldn't do all camo... do the camo bedding and curtains and then pull one of the green shades from those to paint on the wall? Then accessorize with pic's of wildlife on the walls.

Or you could do it the other way around and do bold camo walls with neutral curtains and bedding. I think the only way to really paint camo is to tape off the circular shapes and paint 3 or so different colors... 2 shades of green and brownish/tan. This would take time but would look neat! Maybe you could do this on one wall even.

Another idea is to create a loft and a tree in the room... this would make it more of the hunting camo opposed to army camo. 

bluegardenfly
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2008 at 7:05 PM
OMG! Thanks everyone, your ideas are GREAT!
legacysmama
by on Feb. 12, 2008 at 12:54 PM

My friend used a queen sized blanket and tacked it to the wall in her boys room. HTH

Have a great day! 

~*~Shelby~*~

MelindaD
by Member on Feb. 12, 2008 at 12:59 PM
If he's into camo for hunting why not go neutral on wall and then add trees, birds, wildlife, rocks etc. yourself. One way would be a complete wallpaper mural on one wall or you could just paint trees etc yourself. Or a combo of you painting and finding cutouts of animals
stampin_mama
by New Member on Feb. 12, 2008 at 3:51 PM
I did see a picture that I LOVED out of the JCPenney catalog... What about a large orange stripe painted around the room like a border, only wider?  Then you could accent his room with the bright camo orange color!  Good Luck!

Michele - aka "Stampin' Mama"

MelindaD
by Member on Feb. 12, 2008 at 4:22 PM

so I reread your post and the camo was not about army more about hunting so I found these to give you some wilderness options that would go with the camo hunter

item W15204 project idea

This one is just one big one but great impact
item W13456

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)