Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cruises..

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 264 Total Views

After enjoying several cruises, we'll likely never take a different type of vacation.. Everything is on the ships and it takes us to many destinations to enjoy.

So far we've only been on Carnival Cruiselines, which is great but when it comes to small children, it's not the most enjoyable.  Camp Carnival is open from 9-12, 2-4 and then 7-10pm.. but aside from that, there's not much else for them to do in between but the pool.. which leads me to an issue we had with a boy that had Pink Eye on this last cruise.. my son developed it along with croup.  If there's an illness, my son is sure to get it.. Needless to say, we can't worry about every possible illness.

Anyhow, I'm considering the Disney Cruise next time. Definitely in a suite this time since there's 5 of us..   We had an exterior cabin with a window and it was much too cramped because we figured we wouldn't be in the cabin much, like on other cruises we've taken; but when we're in the cabin, it's no joy in such tight surroundings.

What's been your best cruise and what are your DO'S AND DON'T S of cruising??

If you haven't cruised yet, this post may be informative for you and what to look for.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MelindaD
by Member on May. 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I went on a cruise when I was a teenager. My mom and aunt treated my cousin in I the summer before our senior year. I have no idea the company but it was a Disney cruise characters and all. We left from Florida to the Bahamas then when we came back had like 4-5 days at Disney World. It was super fun.

I love the idea of cruises, BUT I just can't see it with small kids. Teens yes, toddlers like I have nope.

N.C. Moms come check out my group  butterfly

http://www.cafemom.com/group/NCMommies

MomsTaxiAndATM
by Member on May. 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM

From Fort Lauderdale, FL. to Europe! We had a blast. 2 1/2 weeks long and loved it. I will say though I became quite anxious a few times from fear (lol) so next time if there is one "I hope"! We will fly over THEN get on a ship & port hop!!!  

MomsTaxiAndATM
by Member on May. 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Oh, it was a Princess Cruise.  

SnoWhiteImages
by on May. 28, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I have never cruised with my kids, but I have an aunt who took her kids on disney several times from the time they were small all of the way through high school and loved it. If I were going to take kids, that's the way I'd go too. 
We've done Carnival and Princess. I have been told by many people that the freestyle cruises are kinda BLAH too. I have loved every one that we've been on! 

campeno
by Admin on May. 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I used to sell cruises and I prefer Royal Carribean. They seem to suit the most needs/wants.

I couldn't do a Disney Cruise. I'd likely strangle the characters by the end, LOL.  Sensory overload.

YuppyMom
by Member on May. 28, 2009 at 4:28 PM

We have done the Disney cruise and fully intend to do it again.

What campeno said above, it's not like that at all.  You could do the whole cruise and not have to deal with the characters if you did not want to.  It isn't like they follow you around and in most cases, you have to GO to wherever they will be to see them.  So when you do not want to--you don't go.

Overall it was a very nice experience.  We had a Veranda room and it was plenty big enough.  We had the veranda, the room with the kid's bunks (and a sofa with desk etc...) and the area for our bed...and the bathroom.  It was just fine.

We chose not to do the camp at all.  We feel that when we cruise, it is a family vacation and there is no point of taking children on vacation and then leaving them with a sitter, you know?  And there is so much to do that is family friendly, that there is no reason not to do things together.

The shows are first rate as Disney type entertainment goes. 

They also show movies...if a new DIsney flick is coming out, you may get the pre-view viewing on the ship. 

The restaurants are nice and we loved the different themes.  We chose the 8:00 o'clock dinner time and felt that was perfect.  We did not want the early seating, as if we were engrossed in an activity, we did not want to have to leave it to go eat (and we all like to shower and dress for dinner--so it gave us more time). 

Castaway Cay is such a nice stop.  Disney's private island.  OUr favorite stop in the Bahamas!

If you go on a cruise into Nassau in the bahamas...do not even bother to get off.  The place is a dump.  However, there is some good shopping there, but I would avoid the straw market.

GOBryan
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I live 40 minutes north of Disney so we certainly don't need to do the parks or anything like that, but I think another trip to Nassau and one to Castaway Cay would be fun.. I also understand there's more for the kids to do on Disney.. My two youngest are Autistic so it's touch and go depending on how they feel.

My son, Mykle, flipped out from so many people on the Carnival ship's Lido deck. It was definitely too much sensory overload, so after he got used to the daycare, which took a day or so, it was the best place for him until it got too late and then he needed us. Our daughter is much more mellow and doesn't get overwhelmed but once she was tired, it was over for her also. 

We also thought it was nice to have time for ourselves without the kids. My 16 year old had places to go off on her own to enjoy. The little ones were in Camp Carnival from 7 to almost 10pm.

I'm hoping the hours on Disney are better and more extended. Also have to see how they handle special needs kids.

Quoting YuppyMom:

We have done the Disney cruise and fully intend to do it again.

What campeno said above, it's not like that at all.  You could do the whole cruise and not have to deal with the characters if you did not want to.  It isn't like they follow you around and in most cases, you have to GO to wherever they will be to see them.  So when you do not want to--you don't go.

Overall it was a very nice experience.  We had a Veranda room and it was plenty big enough.  We had the veranda, the room with the kid's bunks (and a sofa with desk etc...) and the area for our bed...and the bathroom.  It was just fine.

We chose not to do the camp at all.  We feel that when we cruise, it is a family vacation and there is no point of taking children on vacation and then leaving them with a sitter, you know?  And there is so much to do that is family friendly, that there is no reason not to do things together.

The shows are first rate as Disney type entertainment goes. 

They also show movies...if a new DIsney flick is coming out, you may get the pre-view viewing on the ship. 

The restaurants are nice and we loved the different themes.  We chose the 8:00 o'clock dinner time and felt that was perfect.  We did not want the early seating, as if we were engrossed in an activity, we did not want to have to leave it to go eat (and we all like to shower and dress for dinner--so it gave us more time). 

Castaway Cay is such a nice stop.  Disney's private island.  OUr favorite stop in the Bahamas!

If you go on a cruise into Nassau in the bahamas...do not even bother to get off.  The place is a dump.  However, there is some good shopping there, but I would avoid the straw market.

brancoj
by Member on May. 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM

We did a 5 day San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico about 3 years ago when my children were 7 and 5...........Hated it! I think they were too young and I freaked out everytime we went up and down those stairs in the back of the ship! I was terrified they would trip and end up in the ocean. We had a lot of fun once we got into the ports of  Cabo and Ensenada. In Cabo we went on a beach and desert jeep tour that was about  $400.  Then when we were in Ensenada we went on another tour to a blowhole...another $300.  When we were at sea, both me and DH got bored. We cannot sit and relax all day...lol.  The kids had fun at the camp carnival day care but got bored if they were there too long.  I felt like I kept walking back an forth across that huge ship picking them up then dropping them off.  I think the kids favorite memory of that cruise is the towel animals they left on the bed every night.  Cute! I have a lot of pictures of those animals.

We want to try the Disney cruise. But I want to wait until they are a little older..lol

wvyolanda
by Member on Jun. 17, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I have to say our favorite for the whole family was the Disney Cruise-- western Caribbean-- Disney had a tone of stuff to do for every age group-- and my son loved the kids program. The rooms are amazing!  Awesome food.

That said, we enjoyed our Princess Southern Caribbean cruise last year-- we truely enjoyed the places we went to.  We've also done a Royal Caribbean cruise-- loved the ship and the food was good-- western caribbean. 

My least favorite have been the Carnival cruises we've taken, one caribbean one Mexican Riviera.

Always go with a balcony if you can-- gives you more space.

Just my 2 cents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)