Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baseboards/trim color

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 391 Total Views

My living room, which is need of much help, has stained baseboards, trim, and doors. I'd like to paint them white. I'm not sure though, do you use an actual white-white or an off-white? I'd like to paint the walls a shade of tan, maybe like a mushroom color. There is also a built-in with some shelves and a cabinet by the fireplace. What about the mantel? Should I paint that as well? We do have an oak entertainment center, sofa table,  and end tables/coffee table that we will NOT be painting.

by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BeckyCon1998
by on Jun. 22, 2009 at 9:19 AM

My husband and I love stained woodwork!  Our house has beautiful old woodwork that previous owners painted over, and we wish they hadn't!  We're also not sure we want to go to all the work of scraping, sanding, etc. to bring them back to their natural state.  If you really want to paint it, and your walls are going to be a light tan-ish color, I'd go with white trim.  It adds a really nice, crisp contrast to the walls.  It should really make the walls stand out, too.  Good luck with your painting!!!

Becky

caham
by Owner on Jun. 27, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I say go for it! It is your home and you should do what makes you happy. I would go for white trim and you will want to use trim paint that has a sheen to it. As far as painting the other wood pieces, I would do your trim and walls first and see what you think. I my master bedroom, We have white trim (baseboards and windows) but I opted to leave the fireplace natural wood and it looks fine like that. If you search the thread of Master Bedroom pics, I have pictures posted there if you would like to see them.

Christine - Group Owner of Home Decor and so Much More!

TheMrs119
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Paint em!! I also have  "mushroom" colored walls & will be painting all the baseboards bright white. I already did the trim in the entry way & it looks awesome.

Dawn~Kayla is 2 years old!!!

wahm02
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get it done now!!

Shelli

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)