Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

From Now On I Will Always Save My Pennies So This Doesn't Happen To Someone Else!

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:24 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 332 Total Views

Sorry this is a long story!

Last month I had the most wonderful idea to get my husband a new dog and friend for Christmas.  My husband has always wanted a Lab and I happened to find one that was perfect for our family.  He was one of the sweetest dogs you'd ever meet and he was great with my little, rambuctuous little dog and my little 18 month old girl.  His name was Gunner and he was the most beautiful Yellow Lab you'd ever see.  My daughter, CiCi, often liked to jump on him when he laid down and he didn't care.  He also liked to sit with her in her room and watch movies with her.  They even laid together on her little foan coach/bed and just hung out.  He was perfect.  In the past few weeks I had become very attached to him.  I love all  my dogs like they were my own children and I care about their well-being.

Last Thursday I noticed that Gunner may have been getting sick.  Him and my little dog were both throwing up grass so I thought that maybe they had eaten grass again to clean out their system.  Well, Gunner continued to throw up while my little dog was fine! Then I noticed he also had diahrea so I became even more concerned.  He was 10 months old and I wasn't sure that he had his shots.  He had two previous owners, and the first claimed that they had given him his shots but didn't have any paperwork.  By Sunday he still hadn't eaten and was throwing up even his water so I had to borrow money just to take him to the vet.  They told me that he had a weak possitive for Parvo and was a little dehydrated.  They wanted to keep him so he could be put on an IV and given medications.  I couldn't afford all of that.  I decided to atleast get him the meds and try to keep him hydrated on my own.  They gave him a shot for the nausea and some antibiotics for me to take home.  He only got worse.  He sat outside all day and didn't even want to come in the house.  Later in the night when it got really cold I had to pick him up just to bring him in the house.  I noticed that he was up and moving around during the night so I thought maybe he was a little better. 

This morning when I woke up to get my daughter out of her bed i noticed that Gunner was laying in front of her bed like he does sometimes, only this time he wouldn't get up.  He had passed sometime early in the morning after my husband went to work and before I woke up.  I was so devastated.  I hate that something like this had to happen just because I didn't have the money to pay for the vet.  None of the vets in my area would take payments and I couldn't qualify for the Care Card Credit.  I really wish that something else could have been done for him.  I really did everything I could.  I know he's in a better place now and everything happens for a reason.

From now I will be sure to save my pennies and donate them to any local vet so that I might be able to help someone in this situation. 

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
chelsat
by Member on Dec. 21, 2008 at 10:54 PM

I am so sorry for your loss!  Parvo is a horrid disease and we had two of our dogs die from it years ago.......such a shame the vet couldnt work something out with you....but it is very hard to get them to survive from parvo.........and expensive........HUGS!

dichihuahua
by Member on Dec. 22, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I'm so sorry for ur loss, We have went through the battle of fighting the Parvo Virus in Juneof this year.....We had 2 litters born on the same day,around the same time.....in April, each litter there were 5 babies.....we had gotten a call, from someone interested in getting one of the pups.....well we also had our little Mimi, she played with all the others....They r all Chihuahua's.....they were all doing great healthwise....The  man talked to me over the phone, he said his daughter's dog had just died....a few days earlier, i didn't think to ask him what their dog died of.....I wish i would have asked him while he was on the phone with me.....!!!

We set up a time for him to come to see the pups.....He came over to see the pups.....This man was carrying the parvo virus on him.....I didn't know it. whether it was on his hands,shoes,clothes......he was the only person that had came over to see the pups.....it was early in the ad, of announcing our pups....maybe a day or 2.  Anyway.....he said he wanted to see them again in a week so he could bring his daughter next time.....that was ok with me......but i told him if someone else comes i'm not holding any pups....

until the next week.....our pups started getting sick, throwing up & diarreaha then, the diarreaha had blood in it....after losing several of our pups....i studied The Parvo Virus & the damage it does to pups & dogs....how it kills them.....this silent killer is vicious.....but i also learned what u can do to help ur pups too.....out of 11 pups.....i was able to help 5 survive the parvo......that was most certainly worth the hard work of helping them, the sleepless nights.....etc....so now i know, pups can survive.....if only there were a way to tell a person is carrying the parvo virus on them that could have saved all these precious lives.....this is getting kinda long....so if anyone is interested on how the 5 out of 11 was able to make it....contact me through this email address & for the subject box, please put, ( Making it through the Parvo Virus,info./interested...) What i will explain is what i learned through experience.....what i had to do to help our baby chi's.....I promise nothing....there is no guarantee....that this will would for every pup/dog.....this is just what i learned & what i experienced......what i did to help my furbabies survive... my email address is.....  dichihuahua@aol.com   Diane :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)