Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The politics of children's parties

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 377 Total Views

Hi, all:
I have a party question. My daughter wants to celebrate her birthday by going to see a movie w/friends. Well, I checked out parties at our local theaters, and they're expensive! You have to have a minimum of 20 people, and it costs $400.

So we were considering an alternative -- starting out at home w/cake and presents, then going to a movie. However, we don't want to pay for adult tickets, just kid tickets. And around here, the way kid parties work is not only does the invited guest attend the event, but his/her sibs and parents come too. Is there a polite way to not go broke paying for a movie, or do we need to come up w/a different party idea? I know it all sounds silly and trivial, but I could use some input here.

C. Miller
Mom to 2
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
CaLizzyMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Maybe include in the invite a note for the parents that reads something along these lines:

"We would like to include everyone in our daughter's birthday celebration and want to be sure that you feel welcome to join us for cake and presents.  However, due to the cost of the movie  we will only be able to pay for your child's ticket, so any extra tickets will need to be bought at your own expense."

I know there's a better way of saying that, but I've hit a mental wall on how to do it.  My son just went to a movie party this year (they had the party room at the theatre, and everything), and it never occured to me to atend, because I just assumed they would only be paying for my child.  I'm not sure how this kind of note would work and I hope you can figure something out soon.

HFBMOM
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Good idea.  Just make sure parents of invited friends know tht the part is out your daughter and HER friends. 

You may also do something as simple as writing on the invitation:

"Cake and presents at 1:00 at 123 Main Street, pick up your child at the theater at 999 Anywhere Street at 5:00pm.  If you would like to attend the movie with us, please let me know and I will reserve seats for you to purchase at the theater."

Have fun and good luck.

Quoting CaLizzyMom:

Maybe include in the invite a note for the parents that reads something along these lines:

"We would like to include everyone in our daughter's birthday celebration and want to be sure that you feel welcome to join us for cake and presents.  However, due to the cost of the movie  we will only be able to pay for your child's ticket, so any extra tickets will need to be bought at your own expense."

I know there's a better way of saying that, but I've hit a mental wall on how to do it.  My son just went to a movie party this year (they had the party room at the theatre, and everything), and it never occured to me to atend, because I just assumed they would only be paying for my child.  I'm not sure how this kind of note would work and I hope you can figure something out soon.

Julie
Enhancing Lives and Helping Moms Work from Home
www.HealthyFamilyBiz.com

Mom2BKM
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Thanks, ladies. :0) 

C. Miller
Mom to 2
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)