Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bike & Training Wheels

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 303 Total Views

Hi everyone;

I have a 6 year old son, soon to be 7 in July.   I have a question about bikes & training wheels.   Our son does not know how to ride his bike with out the training wheels.   He has been terrified to learn how & to practice.   He has had a bike for about 3 years, but has showed no interest in learning how to ride it independently.   We recently took the training wheels off, per his request.   We have explained to him, it will take a while to learn how to ride, no one knows how to do it right from the start & its Ok when you loose your balance, fall etc.

Interesting thing is; he has also had a scooter since he was 3.   He loves his scooter.    He can ride it with no problem & does tricks, rides it with one leg/ one hand etc.  squats down while riding etc. etc.

He seems to be much more comfortable on the scooter......Is anyone else going through this same thing or has gone through this?

How long did it take your child to learn how to ride his/her bike & what tips did you use for encouragement?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Mom to Owen 6

Mom to Logan 11

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
elly25
by Member on Jul. 4, 2009 at 2:12 PM

My son has been riding his scooter since he was two and a bike with out training wheels since he was four.My son's dear devil my nature.He asked my husband to take off his training wheels one day because he wanted to ride his bike like his friend did.He fail a few times.Got some scrapes and bruises,but wouldn't let us help him.He only let his friend help him out with advice.So no biggy.She taugh him how to get a running start and push off.That worked for a few years.Then he grew out of his bike and we had to get him a new one that was larger and he couldn't touch the ground any more.I taught him to find the edge of a curb and push off that way.When my husband saw what he was doing he had to "correct" him.So he taught him to line up the peddle flat and level on one side,put his foot on it,and push off with a running start.Then get on the bike at the same time.It took him a few tries and then he got it.It took him four days the first time and a week the next time.

I just told him to try again.That it was okay to fall off and that it was okay if he didn't get it the first time.That there was always next time.

Tips are to always wear a some protective things.Helmet,knee pads,and elbow pads when they are first learning to ride a bike.You need less band aids that way.Teach them that if at first you don't secede.Try and try again.

Ohiomomto2
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM

I guess I got lucky.  My DD is 7 (since June 1st) and she went to her cousins one day.  The cousin is a few months younger than DD, but was already riding with no training wheels.  We live in a complex, so before that day she really hadn't ridden her bike much because we have to keep it in the apartment (yep it sucks!).  Anyways, she went over there picked up the bike and RODE IT the first time she tried.  No help, just got on and rode...I was amazed and still am!  She rides her bike which is bigger also without training wheels....

MMsMommy914
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM
I'm going through the same issues with my 6 year old. He's fallen a couple of times and now it seems as though he has no interest in learning how to ride a 2 wheeler. I don't want to push it but at the same time I feel like he needs to learn how to do this. Does a scooter help with balance?
momluvstt
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Hi!  I am having the same problem with my son.  He will also be 7 in July.  I do not know what to do.  Like someone else said I do not want to push him but I am afraid he wont do it unless I do something.  My daughter now 12 can not ride a bike for this reason.  She was scared so I did not push her & now she doesnt not how to ride.  Good luck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)