Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Glasses

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 285 Total Views

Just thought I'd ask if any of you have kids with glasses.  If so, do you have any tips for my son, he just got them today and he's ecstatic.

playing soccer boy

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
crys6278
by New Member on Aug. 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Make sure you got a warranty on them because guaranteed they are going to get lost or broken within the first 6 months. My 8 year old has them and I cannot count the number of pairs we have went through.

CaLizzyMom
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM

They didn't offer me a warranty or tell me about one.  Do you think I can still ask about it?  I will be back there next week to get my contacts (I'm the one he gets the weak eyes from.)

crys6278
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

When you go ask about a warranty. They usually run about 30.00 dollars.If you have eye insurance,call them and see what their policy on replacing glasses is. When you take your son for his next eye examine,usually in year, go to a places that are having deals i-e buy 1 get1 free usually those places offer warranties. Good luck and you can contact me if you need any more advice. P.S Lake,pool and river water will mess with the metal on his glasses.

CaLizzyMom
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Thanks so much for all the advice, I will check when I go back and we do have insurance so I'll call them and find out what they cover regarding replacemnet.  He is just barely at the point of needing glasses, so we make sure he takes them off for swimming.

Dana291
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Hey there.  My son has had glasses for two years.  Our local chapter of the Lion's Club was doing free screenings at Kindergarden Registration, and he ended up with them.  He has been really good with his.  He takes pretty good care of them.  He has a case that he puts them in at night.  He says he has to tuck them in their bed.  LOL  Of course, the frames do glow in the dark, so he tends to "baby" them more than his first set.  Good luck!

Dana

MamaBear7284
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:42 PM

My Seven year old daughter got her first pair of glasses about 6 months ago. At first she loved them because they were pink but over time the responsibility of taking care of them has gotten to her and she now finds them annoying. She is ADHD and I was told that the medication she is on could effect her vision so we go ever six months for an exam. I agree the the other post make sure you understand up front how often your insurance will fix or replace them. Our insurance will replace her glasses (with the EXACT same pair) once every 30 days if she breaks them. She only had them a few weeks when she broke them on the playground at school. They replaced the frames but kept the lends. Just know what you can do before the problems happen!!

Momsboys2
by Member on Sep. 20, 2009 at 2:00 PM

My son has glasses and he enjoys them. When he first got them for him, it broke my heart when he said that the words (in his books) were so much clearer. As for tips, I wish I had any. My son, has gone through one pair, and working on going through the second pair in less then 6 months!!! He doesn't care of them at all. Good luck!!

Trinamommy
by on Sep. 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Both my boys have been wearing them for about 4-5 years we go to Lenscrafters. They have the best breakage protection plan that's free. We have gotten several pairs for free from them. They've always treated us very well! They need new glasses about every couple years due to wear and tear. When they were 2 and 3 they went through them faster from breaking them but once they were about 4 or 5 the glasses don't seem to get broken just wear out.

birdmomma
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 9:15 AM

my daughter got glasses about a month ago she only has to have them for far away things and tv.  i keep a glasses case at school and at home so she can take them off if she needs to.  I also told her (because she doesnt need them) not to wear them for p.e. or recess.  she is doing pretty good.  I just make sure she puts them in the case before bed.  we have forgotton them a few times for school but it takes time to remember them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)