Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions: Popular vs. Uncommon

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 281 Total Views
Just wondering what your opinions are about giving popular names vs. more uncommon ones.
Do you try to avoid popular names? Why?
Would you give your child a name if you knew it was popular if you loved the name?
Do you prefer uncommon names? What kind of names do you consider "uncommon"?
Is popular the same as trendy? What do you think is the difference? Do you like trendy names?
Do you think that changing the spelling of a popular name makes it more "unique"?

Carly -- Mom to Evie 6/9/04 and Sammy 4/17/07

Join me at my new group  Baby Name Polls and Opinions

by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LaurieLW
by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 4:01 PM
Starting this out. I want to say this is my opinion and my opinion only. Everyone is free to name their children as they wish and I embrace that.

Personally I like names that maybe on the more uncommon side. I did try to avoid names that were too popular (in the top 50). I also try to predict popularity which can be difficult. If I absolutely love a name a felt it fit, I would give it to my child, but in general tried to avoid those before I fell in love with them. Personally I do not consider a name that is creatively spelled as being uncommon or unique. If you change the spelling of a name, but it is still pronounced the same, it is the same name. My name is Laurie, I don't associate with Lori, however to others its one in the same. I consider names to be uncommon when it is a name that is under used, maybe a foreign name or a variation of a name. I also am not overly fond of trendy names, and I do not believe that a popular name is a trendy name. Take Emily for an example. This name is a classic name that is currently very popular whereas MaKayla is a trendy name.

With all that said-In naming my kids I happened to give my girl a name that maybe more popular or common than I wanted initially and a name that (IMO) may go up at any time. My sons name is what I consider uncommon and have had to deal with issues on that front. Like having to explain his name, having to re-pronounce it and dealing with faces of disgust. But I still love his name and believe in the long run he will benefit from it. My kids names are Audrey and Artem.

I know this topic can be touchy, I hope answers can be taken as the question was asked-as opinions.
mooney_mama
by on Jan. 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM
I'm not sure if it's considered uncommon or not, but a girl I know has a daughter named Kezlyn...I absolutely LOVE it, but I can't use it!
CarlyQ
by Group Owner on Jan. 14, 2008 at 4:18 PM
Totally agree and couldn't have said it better myself. A classic name that is currently more popular is not the same as trendy. And I also agree that spelling a name differently doesn't make it more unique. It is still the same name. You may like it better, think it looks prettier, but it is still pronounced the same way.

In both of my children's cases, I was looking for something uncommon. I tended to look only at names outside the top 100. But my dh doesn't like most of the more unusual names, and especially for our son wanted a name that wouldn't sound "odd" or be hard to pronounce. So both of my kids names are in the top 100. Evelyn has been on the rise for awhile, part of the trend toward names from our grandmothers' and greatgrandmothers' generations, but It was my grandmother's name and a tribute to her. Plus I love the nickname Evie. Sammy was a compromise with my dh, a name we could both like. It is more common than I had planned on choosing, but we gave him the middle name Gideon so that made me feel better, lol.

And, yes, I hope everyone can take these as just someone's personal opinion. That is what this whole group is about. Being able to discuss names and say how we really feel withot worrying that anyone will take it personally.
Quoting LaurieLW:

Starting this out. I want to say this is my opinion and my opinion only. Everyone is free to name their children as they wish and I embrace that.

Personally I like names that maybe on the more uncommon side. I did try to avoid names that were too popular (in the top 50). I also try to predict popularity which can be difficult. If I absolutely love a name a felt it fit, I would give it to my child, but in general tried to avoid those before I fell in love with them. Personally I do not consider a name that is creatively spelled as being uncommon or unique. If you change the spelling of a name, but it is still pronounced the same, it is the same name. My name is Laurie, I don't associate with Lori, however to others its one in the same. I consider names to be uncommon when it is a name that is under used, maybe a foreign name or a variation of a name. I also am not overly fond of trendy names, and I do not believe that a popular name is a trendy name. Take Emily for an example. This name is a classic name that is currently very popular whereas MaKayla is a trendy name.

With all that said-In naming my kids I happened to give my girl a name that maybe more popular or common than I wanted initially and a name that (IMO) may go up at any time. My sons name is what I consider uncommon and have had to deal with issues on that front. Like having to explain his name, having to re-pronounce it and dealing with faces of disgust. But I still love his name and believe in the long run he will benefit from it. My kids names are Audrey and Artem.

I know this topic can be touchy, I hope answers can be taken as the question was asked-as opinions.

Carly -- Mom to Evie 6/9/04 and Sammy 4/17/07

Join me at my new group  Baby Name Polls and Opinions

mom2hampknox
by on Jan. 15, 2008 at 9:22 PM
Hi Carly,

I'm just dropping by to check out your new group.  Laurie said exactly what I was thinking.  Funny, since I'm also Laurie.  And while I hate to be called Lori, I finally resigned myself to answering to it.  No offense to any Loris, that just isn't my name.

Anyway, as you know my boys are Parker Hampton and Knox Gibson (first and middle).  I love the names and I love that they are family names.  I actually chose to call Hampton by his middle name because Parker is too popular for my taste.  But it is my grandmother's maiden name so I did name him that anyway.  When he is older he will be free to choose which name he wants to go by.  And by older, I mean on his own and paying his own bills, LOL.

Poetmom
by on Jan. 25, 2008 at 2:37 PM
I never looked at popularity, I just chose names that I liked, or that had family meaning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)