Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions please

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:03 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 204 Total Views

We are looking for a somewhat uncommon, but heard of name that will not become trendy. We need a boy and a girl name.  Do any of these fit that criteria??  Any other suggestions welcome! Thanks

Girls

1. Trinity
  2. Elise
  3. Hope
  4. Lila
  5. Ariel
  6. Reese
  7. Kendra
  8. Ellie
  9. Tara

Boys

1. Dane
  2. Trent
  3. Pierce
  4. Levi
  5. Ty
  6. Cruz
  7. Emmett
  8. Drake
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
linzybindi
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 1:48 AM

Quoting Hallyv:

We are looking for a somewhat uncommon, but heard of name that will not become trendy. We need a boy and a girl name.  Do any of these fit that criteria??  Any other suggestions welcome! Thanks

Girls

1. Trinity I think this name has really grown in popularity recently.
  2. Elise This is one of my favorite names! But I like to spell it Aliesse
  3. Hope Beautiful name, but for me I prefer it as a middle name
  4. Lila  This name was down in popularity for a while but is starting to get popular again. Probably because people are looking for an alternative to Lily or Lillian.
  5. Ariel I don't think this name is too popular but there are still lots of children being named this. It was number 504 last year on the ssa names list.
  6. Reese Another one of my favorite names but again to me more of a middle name.
  7. Kendra I hear this and I think of that girls next door show. LOL!
  8. Ellie  I like Ellie as a nickname but not as a formal first name. Here are some names that use Ellie for a nickname. Eleanor, Elisabeth, Elena, Ellery, Elliott, Elora, Eleora, Ellison, Elysia, Elysa...pretty much anything beginning with "EL" could have Ellie as a nn.
  9. Tara I have known many wonderful girls named Tara but I cannot help but think of either "Gone With the Wind" and a plantation when I hear this name.

Boys

1. Dane Super cool name! But I think it will rise in popularity because of Dane Cook.
  2. Trent I honestly don't like this name at all. It sounds too harsh.
  3. Pierce Love this name! Very strong and manly. Listed as number 487.
  4. Levi Another wonderful name. This is a favorite of mine. But was number 132 on the ssa list for last year. That is pretty popular.
  5. Ty  I don't really care for this name because it makes me think of Tyler and that is one name I am SO over. I used to work at a preschool and I had 3 Tylers in my CLASS! It was insane.
  6. Cruz LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this name. I wanted to use it for my own son but DH said veto. Haha. 431 on the list. Not too bad.
  7. Emmett You have such great taste! I really like this name too. 576 on the list but supposedly it will be on the rise even more in the next few years. Due to the whole Emily/Emma thing with the girls.
  8. Drake Sounds too much like a vampire for me! Haha.

Hope I was able to help! Good luck finding the perfect name for your little one.

Bennett Harris 10/16/07

RoseSiO2
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:22 AM

1. Trinity-I haven't heard this name used much, but looking at the stats it is higher than I would like.  It also looks like it has a steep rise in popularity, which means it is more likely to be a trend name.http://wwAdd Reply - CafeMomw.babynamewizard.com/voyager#prefix=TRINITY&ms=false&sw=f&exact=false

2. Elise - I think this name is very cute- I also prefer this spelling. It is not as popular, but it is rising.  I think this name may be a good choice

3. Hope - I am surprised that Trinity is more popular than Hope.  This name may too fit

4. Lila- This name may start to become trendy (IMO) there seems to be alot of "L" names cropping up. Here is a blog entry from a woman who had a knack for naming trends regarding names starting with "L"  http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2008/8/l-l-l-lovely

5. Ariel-This has the princess/ disney connection.  If that is OK with you, It ouls work in your criteria.  I would suggest Astrid instead

6. Reese - This name I would consider Trendy due to Reese Witherspoon.

7. Kendra - I know alot of little girls with this name that are a older, say 10-13. So I t may have reached its peak.

Ellie- I would stay away from Ellie if you are concerned about popularity and trendiness.  I think this is where the Emily, Emma, Ava's are going to go.  Also all the Isabella's and Isabelles may start using Ellie as an alternative nn.

9. Tara- was a popular name from the 70's.  It maybe considered dated with the kids she is goiing to school with.

1. Dane - I love this name, but I would keep an eye on it, it may become trendy.

2. Trent - We have the same taste in boy names.  I also really like Trent.  I don't think this is popular or trendy.

3. Pierce - This was our number 2 name for our son.  I think you would be OK with this name.

Levi- This one is a bit more popular and trendy than some of the others on your list.

5. Ty- I think there are quite a few Tylers running around wh may use Ty as a nn.

6. Cruz- Good Choice

7. Emmett - With the Twilight series being so popular I would stay away from this name it you are worried about trendiness.

Drake- Good Choice.

CarlyQ
by Group Owner on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:00 AM

I am in that same boat. It seems to be the thing right now that we are all looking for names that are not too common, not too weird, and that won't suddenly become really popular. I think the previous posters had great points. Definitely follow Laura Watternberd's blog Baby Name Wizard. She really knows what is happening with names.

Girls

1. Trinity
  2. Elise - a classic. I know one, buta great name that is always flying under the radar
  3. Hope
  4. Lila - this was on my list until I read the blog entry someone posted. The "L" becoming a trend makes me worry about this one.
  5. Ariel - I think Disney now, or Shakespeare.
  6. Reese - I know two babies just named this.
  7. Kendra
  8. Ellie - seems popular, and lots of kids have this as a nickname
  9. Tara - more old-school, which will make it stand out.

Boys

1. Dane
  2. Trent
  3. Pierce - A nice name. Lots of people will probably consider it but not use it. Probably you best choice.
  4. Levi
  5. Ty
  6. Cruz
  7. Emmett - I've seen this one, but still not overwhelmingly popular. Probably the second best choice. (oops, just read the other post. I am SOOOO not into Twilight, so I had no idea)
  8. Drake

Merry Christmas glitter, holiday Pictures, Images and Photos

If you love baby names, join us at my cafemom group Baby Name Polls and Opinions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)