Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Balboa Hospital???

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 2850 Total Views

So lately I have been hearing all of these horror stories from moms that have given birth at Balboa and I am really wondering if they dont have the best service there.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
travswife55
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I heard the same tings and was so scared I went into it with a mental note that the outcome would be negative.  My birthing experience(had baby girl two weeks ago today!) was great!  I was impressed by the midwives I had.  My daughter had the cord wrapped and they were on top of that quick!  I did have a few little mishaps after delivery because they moved me to a ifferent room and noone could find me.  They also are not that attentive at post pardum,  I requested a pain pill and it took over 8 hours for me to get it, and little things like that.  But I am not the most vocal of people, so as long as you speak up for yourself well you should be fine,pm if you have any other questions, good luck and congrats!

MissMakalia
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I delievered there almost two years ago and it was the best birth I had (my first 5 years ago was in Virginia)  My midwife (whom i seen all pg) was there happend to be on call that night....I was induced I was checked in and was set up in the bed and they were very attentive.  After in post delivery  they were super nice.  I checked out 27 hours after delievery.  I heard tons of stories but i didnt have any bad things...

MommyMonk
by New Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I have had two children there. My first was a c-section due to transverse breech and there was no alternitive. it was awesome. I held perfectly. Only thing that went wrong was I vomited during them sewing me up cause I felt sick do to moving me a little. But everything was great. My secound was a very succesful vbac thanks to the awesome job my surgeon did on my c-section. They said my uterus had heald so well it was like I was having a baby for the first time. After care was good except for one nurse who wouldn't get me a nipple shield (which I knew I needed after 6 hours of not getting baby to latch). BUt all in al it was great. Even my miscarriage last week the hospital staff was very understanding and showed great concern and explained that things like that happened for a reason and if I needed to talk to the chaplin they would go get him right away. Even that sad event was a great experience. Don't believe all the horror stories. From what I have heard is that the worst naval hospital to give birth at is the one in hawaii. Can't remember the name. good luck and I hope you have a good experience.

Keiras_Mom07
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Quoting MommyMonk:

Don't believe all the horror stories. From what I have heard is that the worst naval hospital to give birth at is the one in hawaii. Can't remember the name. good luck and I hope you have a good experience.

I had my daughter at the hospital in Hawaii (it's called Tripler) and it was an awesome experience from check in to check out. Everyone was great. Just in case anyone in the future gets stationed in Hawaii and happens to become pregnant. I heard all the stories about Tripler, but it was great. I can't speak for Balboa, but, I think every hospital has it's stories. You just have to go and see for yourself how the care there is and decide for yourself.

momoGav
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Go ahead and relax...I agree with all of  the women above.  I had my son there 2 years ago, needed to have a c-section for legitimate reasons that I care not to explain, but it WAS a wonderful experience "from check-in to check-out".  I had heard there were rumors of "horror stories" too, but no one could tell me an actual horror story of their own.  Sure, things can go wrong, but they can go wrong at any hospital.  I think there are probably just a few stories out there getting re-circulated and worse everytime they're retold.  I would have no hesitations going back to Balboa to have a second child.

danaloveschris
by Member on Nov. 14, 2009 at 8:13 PM

I had my daughter there and I thought they were great! and I transferred at 7 months from pensacola

pierced517
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2009 at 8:37 PM

2 of my girlfriends just had their babies in Balboa and hated it. I absolutely hate Balboa because I used to be in the Navy and went there 3 times.  Each time was horrible.  They dont know what they are doing and really dont care about you because they are getting paid if they help you or not.  I am out of the Navy now and my man asked if I wanted to have our kid there in June.  I said hell no and I am having our baby at Scripps Hospital.  I am sure it will be a way better experience with alot more knowledgeable people.  I already love the people there.  They are sooo attentive and they give you what you need right away instead of everything taking FOREVER like at Balboa.  Good luck with wherever you choose to deliver!

kittythief
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:45 AM

Like everything else in life, don't believe everything you hear, and your experiences are what you make of them. I gave birth to my DD at Balboa last year, and overall I had a good experience. The L&D staff was good, and I was there for a total of about 22 hours (check-in to moving to MIU). In MIU most of the staff was good. I did have a problem with my day nurse, but more of her attitude. At the time my husband was on deployment and they would let me talk to him on my cell phone when I could. My parents managed to make it in time for DD's birth, and the staff put me into a double room in MIU so that they could stay the night because they didn't have a place to stay right away. So they were really considerate in that aspect.

So go ahead and relax. Decide that you will have a good experience, and you probably will.

BoomerMama25
by New Member on Dec. 23, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I used to be a Corpsman at Balboa Labor and Delivery from 2004-2008 and I love working there and I loved the staff. I had both of my girls there. Mylina was with a dr and Zoe was with a midwife. Ask me anything you need to know. I know all the nurses there.

fryeswifey
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Hello, new here but I had my son there in 2003 back when they first opened up the new recovery wing. We had our own room and my son had the cord around his next x2 it was intense but they were excellent. I had no problems with pain and the nurses were great. they worked with me to get him turned around when he went transverse and did not jsut jump to the c section like so many of my friends who had that happen to them over here in CT and VA. I was very happy and so was my husband.

navydrinkingboy on a swingTom       Laura         Tommy Jr

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)