Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moments Together for Couples

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:38 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 398 Total Views

by Dennis and Barbara Rainey

March 8

Help Wanted: Complementary Women by Barbara Rainey

Genesis 2:18
Then the Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him."

Wives have always found it difficult to live with what they want most: a husband. What we, as women, need perhaps more than ever, is a clear mental picture of our responsibilities as wives. The social changes brought about by the women's movement have been significant, but they have created a wake of grassroots confusion.

In the midst of our twentieth-century experience, God's design for husbands and wives still stands. And I believe that one clear scriptural part of a wife's role is completing what is lacking in her husband. In the words of Genesis, this involves being a helper that is "suitable" for him. Or, as the King James Version says, a help that is "meet" ("fit") for him. We are to complement or complete our husbands.

I love the story told about Pete Flaherty, mayor of Pittsburgh, and his wife, Nancy. They were standing on the sidewalk, surveying a city construction project, when one of the laborers at the site called out to them. "Nancy, remember me?" he asked. "We used to date in high school."

Later, Pete teased her. "Aren't you glad you married me? Just think, if you had married him, you would be the wife of a construction worker."

Nancy looked at him and said, "No, if I'd married him, he would be the mayor of Pittsburgh!"

God has designed women to help their husbands become all that God intends for them to be. As I fulfill my God-given purpose as helpmate to my husband, it helps build oneness between us. If I don't, it means tension, troubles and eventually, isolation.

Prayer:

Ask God to weld you and your husband into partners who realistically understand one another's needs and gifts.
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)