Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 7:39 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 243 Total Views
Hey everyone!

I am new here, My DH Is lutheran and I was born and raised Catholic, my Oldest son is Baptized catholic my other two sons are not baptized at all.

Here is my story in a nutshell. Like I said I was born and Raised Catholic, I am not right now going to church, matter of fact the last time I went to church was for my BIL'S wedding. I don't want to say I am not happy with the catholic church because that would be untrue, as I have gotten older I have come to realize that alot of the things that the Catholic Church belives in I do not, for example... I do not belive you should confess your sins to a priest, I belive you should confess your sins to god.I want to convert to Lutheran and get my children baptized and or converted ( in my oldest son's case) to lutheran. Anyone know what I have to do to convert? I am going to a lutheran church ( ELCA) this weeked and let me tell you I am so excited. I think thats all for now I probably forgot something, more than likely lol!! Hope to talk to you all soon!!

by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 11:46 AM
I would suggest you discuss your situation with the pastor at the new church when you are comfortable.  You can attend for awhile and not join to test the waters and see if the lutheran church is for you.  The pastor will point you in the right direction.  More than likely there will be some sort of new member classes detailing the doctrine of the faith.  As lutherans we believe in one baptism so I don't believe having your son "re-baptized" would be necessary.

Good luck

by Group Owner on Apr. 10, 2007 at 2:22 PM
At our church, we have a new members class that meets for 4 Sundays between the 8:30 & 11 a.m. services. Pastor basically lets people know what Lutheran beliefs are, & welcomes questions & comments. At the end of the
4th class, those wishing to become new members are welcomed in & introduced as a group during the 11 a.m. service. I was actually baptized at this church, because I couldn't find my baptism record, & have no relatives that would be able to attest to my getting baptized, but both my daughters were baptized as little ones in the Anglican church. They did go through confirmation classes with the Luthern church. I really believe it helped them to affirm their faith, & they both had a fun time with the classes.
I can't wait to hear what you thought of the service & all.

by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 4:00 PM
It is really a fairly simple process.  For you it would probably involve taking a new member class - this is usually a really easy thing, so don't let the word "class" scare you.  A lot depends on the pastor as to how in depth they make it, but its mostly just letting you know about the beliefs of the church you are going to and then allowing you to ask questions to make sure its a good fit for you.  As far as your boys go, the baptized one wouldn't have to do anything to "convert".    As somebody else mentioned, Lutheran churches believe that baptism is baptism no matter where it was done and who did it.  I think I saw on your profile that he's 9, so thats younger than confirmation class start in most churches.  The other 2 would be baptized, but there wouldn't be anything that they should have to "do" in order to get baptized since the Lutheran church believes in infant baptism.  I would find a church you feel comfortable in and than ask the pastor.  I think you'll find it a very easy process.
by New Member on May. 2, 2007 at 5:18 PM
Glad to see you are going to a lutheran church, you know martin luther was catholic and broke aways cause of some of the practices in which he did not believe, not to say there is anything wrong with going to a catholic church, I too believe god knows all our sins and we should confess only to him, good luck in finding a lutheran church.

deb in okc
by New Member on Jun. 5, 2007 at 4:17 PM

I know in our church we have a new member coordinator and she takes care of organizing things for new members.  We have time once a month to welcome them in one of the services and they are also featured in our church newsletter.  My son is Lutheran,by baptism and the baptism in a Lutheran church is a really nice thing to be part of. My husband is a non-practising anglican and he was even impressed with our sons' Lutheran baptism. Best of luck to you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)