Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving a child on a feeding tube from a crib to a toddler bed...HELP

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:16 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 323 Total Views

My little man was a 28 weeker.  He is now 22 months and he still has eating issues and is on a Gtube for 98% of his nutrition. He is on his feeding pump at night which is where he gets 50% of his daily intake. He has recently developed sever anxiety with his crib. Putting him to bed is a nightmare. I can rock him to sleep for an hour and as soon as you step foot close to his crib he starts screaming. He then makes himself throw up and gets so stressed that he has diarhea. It is quite the process and not something that we can ignore. We then have to get him out, change him, change his jammies and bed.  He naps just fine on the guest bed because it is short and he can get down when he wakes up. So we are convinced that he is ready for a toddler bed, but I am so worried about him getting tangled in his feeding bag cord. He is also not old enough to understand to wait in bed for me to get him unhooked before he gets out of bed. The last thing I want is for him to try walking around his room and ripping his tube out.  has anyone been through this? Any suggestions?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
sunnidae2006
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2009 at 12:08 AM

My daughter almost came home on a feeding tube. I don't know what it's like to actually experience it, but I know the anxiety of dreading it.

For better or worse, your son is a special needs child. Where he is displaying that he may be ready for a toddler bed, you said that he isn't old enough to understand to wait for you. If he can't understand to wait, then he probably isn't ready because of the needs he has that a usual toddler doesn't.

As for the crib anxiety, I have no idea. Personally, I would call his regular doctor about it and find out what can be done, and what you're comfortable with.

I hope that helps, as simple as it was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)