Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 21 mo son still doesn't eat solids, anyone have the same issue? (piog)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:23 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 382 Total Views

My 21 mo son has developed quite an aversion to eating solids.  He was born at 27 weeks and has always suffered from severe reflux.  He also has an immature gag reflex, an uncorrordinated swallow and throws up very easily.  Therefore, he has developed a fear of eating.  On top of that he still has not been able to figure out how to chew food.  Currently, he receives 100% of his nutrition from drinking boost.  I am beginning to feel like he is going to be on a liquid diet for quite a long time.  He is seeing a speech pathologist regularly, however, this has been a very slow and painful process.

If any of you have been threw this situation I would love to here if and when your child turned the corner.  I know every child is different, however, hearing other stories would give me something to look forward to.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Solarpupw2boys
by Member on May. 29, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Currently my soon to be 6 yr old still only eats babyfood, yogurt or his Boost each day. He was born at 26wks, lost over 2/3 of his small bowel and has a mic key button. He believes solids make him sick and also doesn't know how to chew. We take him to an OT that specializes in feedings. You may want to try that. I so understand you on the slow/painful process all too well. If ever you need to vent or need ideas, feel free to message me.

momofonelilguy
by New Member on May. 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I am so glad to hear from both of you because sometimes I wonder how many others are dealing with what I am.  My son was born 10 weeks early and is almost 5 and eats baby food and pediasure.  He cannot handle texture yet.  I agree with Solarpupw2boys that you need to find a feeding therapist for your child and when your child will accept solids..(If only I could go back in time...) Please remain VERY consistent... I let up a little and it went downhill from there... Please send me a personal message... I'd love to be able to help you with any trouble you're having... I could use the support myself even though your child is much younger than mine.

DnPeanut
by Member on Jun. 15, 2010 at 1:26 PM

My son does see a feeding therapist every 2 weeks.  Things are getting better since the dietician has told us to reduce the bottles. His weight gain has been really good.  Right now the challenge is to convince him that the solid food is the meal rather than the bottle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)