Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 12:05 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 305 Total Views
Hey everyone I have a problem with my son Braylen. He is a former 25 weeker  and wasl 1lb 140z at birth, he will be 1 on July 22nd and he is 17.12oz . He has been around the same weight for around 2 months now I mean he gains weight but only like 4oz a month  hes gained not even 1lb in 3 months. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Everyone keeps telling me he's ok and not to worry. He eats about 2 or 3 4oz bottles a day and 11 jars of baby food he doesnt act sick he is the happiest boy ever. I took my son to the doc yesterday for his weight and the doc told me I was right that he has stopped gaining weight. They took him off formula and put him on pediasure they say he needs to drink 2 8oz bottles of that a day. He goes back to the doc on July 24th and if he hasn't gained weight by then they are going to start checking his liver and kidneys. I hope and prey to god that all he needs is a few extra calories to help him gain wt. So far he loves the pediasure and he drinks about 23 oz of that a day plus baby food so I'm glad he likes that stuff. So if you have had this problem or know anything about it please help me I"m scared shitless again and I hate how these feelings are.
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by New Member on Jul. 14, 2007 at 12:14 AM
My daughter is 3 yrs. 2 months old. She weighs 26 pounds and has weighed that for a very long time. Some micro preemies are just smaller than others. I think he'll catch up. Grace was in 12 month clothing till she was almost 2 years old. Now she is almost into a 3T. It's always good to have Dr. that are concerned thouhg. He can stay on top of the situation and monitor everything. In my opinion.....Until the dr. says to worry....don't worry.
by Member on Jul. 14, 2007 at 12:23 AM
Other than the weight issue is your son healthy? My son was a l lb. 3 oz. 25 weeker. He's over 2 1/2 now and if I'm lucky, he weighs 22 lbs. My son is perfectly healthy and eats good, he's just small. He was put on the pediasure also and up until this past week had at least 2 a day along with his normal eating. I'm not tryin to burst your hope, but the pediasure might not make him gain much weight if any. My son has been in that 20-22 lb. range since Dec. and he's been on pediasure since right after he turned one. His ped. he has now did run a hormone test to see if there was a problem there and he was fine. They never checked his kidneys or liver cause he's healthy as can be.
Is your son active? That could be why he's not showing a gain. My son goes non-stop and would go 24/7 if possible. Like I said, he eats good.....but he just runs it off by going non-stop.
Try not to stress to much. I hope I helped a little.
by Group Owner on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:40 AM
Yes my son is very healthy knock on wood. He just about 2 months ago stopped drinking the bottle he would drink maybe 4 oz a day if I was lucky, but the pediasure he drinks like i said about 4 6oz bottles a day. I hope to god he gains wt this way because I dont want him to have testing done I'm sick of him getting poked. He is a VERY active boy hes nonstop all the time it's insane. Thanks fo rthe help
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 2:49 AM
Hi, well I think I'll agree with everyone in saying that our little one's just take a bit more time to grow! Gage is 21months, and 20lbs. Just now getting into 12mos clothing! He's been hovering around that 20lb marker (+ or - a few oz's) for about 3months now. He did have an NG tube though.. where all his feeds were pediasure, so his calorie intake was a lot more (which helped him to get to that 20lbs) but he is a very active little boy and just doesn't seem to gain weight. As long as he's helthy and happy, I wouldn't worry about it unless your doc gives you a reason to be concerned. (also, see if it's ok if you are that concerned: try adding rice or oatmeal to his food, it adds calories)
by New Member on Jul. 14, 2007 at 4:36 PM
Emily is 5 1/2 and her weight has fluctuated between 33 and 38 pounds for a year now, so I know your frustration all too well.  But I also agree that our micropreemies do tend to be smaller than their FT peers.
Could it be possible that he just was not liking the taste of the formula?  Pediasure is usually well tolerated by kids with picky tastebuds which would explain why his bottle consumption has increased.  I hope it helps and he begins packing on some weight soon. 

Tracy, mom to Emily born at 26 weeks on 11/02/2001 and now almost 6 years old and my angelbaby Theoren lost to miscarriage 12/23/2000. 

I also moderate on an awesome forum for parents of preemies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)