Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off topic, but curious...ADDED-NEWS ARTICLE

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 307 Total Views

did any of you get a cerclage during you pregnancy? Did it fail? Just curious resently I googled  success rates of cerclages. Sorry let me first tell you why I was researching this information. 1st pregnancy I delivered at 24 weeks and my daughter passed away at 3 months and 22days. It was considered a fluke, I was told by my MFM that it would probably never happen again. SUPRISE it happened again! This time they diagnosised me with an incompetent cervix. I was pregnant with twins so I got a vaginal cerclage placed at 17 weeks and total bedrest. Well at 22 weeks twin a's water started to leak. WEIRD I thought that with a cerclage and strict bed rest the cervix can't open. Well we got to the hospital and discovered that my cerclage had torn and a week later my sweet little one pound babies arrived 17 weeks early. Twin B passed away at 16 days and Twin A is a happy, healthy one year old. What a downer! My dh and have always wanted a few kids and that dream was stomped all over by the incompetent cervix diagnosis. I was mad that my cerclage tore! and I wanted to know just what the success rate of the cerclage was. I discovered that there is not only one, but several different types of cerclages. Most of them are done vaginaly during pregnancy and carry a risk of infection and although on bedrest only get to or a little past viability. The one that really caught my attention is the TransAbdominal Cerclage (TAC) which can be done preconception OR In-pregnancy. Interesting.....VERY INTERESTING......I researched the TAC, I learned that the success rate of the TAC is 95% or higher that you'll carry a baby to term (37weeks or more)! Amazing AND no bedrest. The ladies that were on bedrest were there for reasons(usually ptl) other than their cervix. The TAC is placed by undergoing a major abdominal surgery or laparoscopicly. It can be placed preconception or in-pregnancy up to like 16 weeks. The TAC is placed as high on the cervix as possible and that  is what prevents funneling and dilation. The TAC can safely left in place and delivery by c-section would be a must. I joined an AWESOME yahoo group called ABBYLOOPERS  an education and awareness group dedicated to the TAC. When I asked my OB about the TAC he said that is was out dated and no longer done. SECOND OPINION- I also asked my MFM and he said that the TAC or serrogacy were our only two options. So I consulted a Dr. that was highly recommended on Abbyloopers. I changed OBs and I'm schuduled for surgery March 26th with Dr. Haney in Chicago. But now I'm just wondering how many women are out there that have IC and have Dr.s that want to just "wait and see" what happens before they'll take action because they aren't sure you have IC, or give limited choices and are lazy at doing more research to better their care for their patents. How many babies are you going to bury before you become your own advocate and speak up about your options. After all it's you that stands at that grave side of each child you lose to IC. I personally have buried two children. I would much rather undergo a major abdominal surgery than watch a baby fight for his dear life in the NICU or............attend a funeral where your child is the one being buried. WOW I have carried on long enough, thanx for reading if you got this far. I'm trying to get the word out about the TAC , if you have IC and a failed cerclage or if you know anyone who has..............Help save babies lives by telling them about Abbyloopers where you/they can get info, advice, and support

Subscribe to Abbyloopers