Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need a little information about surgery

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:18 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 221 Total Views

Hi All,

I had my micro preemie at 23 wks 5 days and her background story is in this group if you are interested (name's Taylor). However, I am now writing to find out if any other moms had their babies diagnosed with hydrocephalus? Im wondering about the shunt treatment or any alternatives that may have worked for people-such as monitoring, LP, or anything else? Please respond, I think I'll have to make this decision soon and I would like to know as much as possible about the treatments-good and bad.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
tiffilyn119
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Hello! I want to say congratulations on your miracle baby! I too am a mom to a 23 weeker born at 23 weeks and 5 days! She is a twin. Her brother passed away 2 weeks after he was born. We are blessed with my daughter  who is now 15 months old (11months corrected age). I was exactly where you are. My daughter was not a clear cut case of hydrocephalous. She had enlarged ventricles in her brain that never got smaller, yet never got bigger. She began to have some feeding problems and did some "sunsetting" with her eyes (meaning she was looking down farther and more often than normal). I had heard all kinds of stories about vp shunts and just wasnt sure if that was the right thing to do. I had them do a pressure check in her head and she did have increased pressure in her head. This is what may have contributed to the feeding problems and sunsetting of the eyes. We decided to go ahead and talk to neurosurgery about a vp shunt. I was very scared and I knew this may be the only way to correct the problems my daughter was having. We opted for the VP shunt and she had the surgery to have it put in. It was the best thing we could have done for my daughter!!! She has taken off developmentally since this surgery! She got a normal CT scan about  6 months after the shunt surgery. The ventricles are now normal size. I forgot to mention that my daughter had also had a brain bleed (grade 3) when she was born as well. That is completely resolved. I am very glad we opted for the vp shunt. I know it is scary but it really helped my daughter! The risk of infection is there after the shunt is placed, but the % chance of infection decreases the longer she has it. If infection does happen, (seems to be common) the neurosurgeons will be able to go in an adjust/replace whatever needs to be. My daughter's shunt has worked perfectly since she had it with no complications. I hope I have been able to help you as you travel on this journey. I know it is a long journey and the ups and downs are alot to handle. You are doing the best you can for your daughter and that is what will get her healthy and home. :D Keep in touch as I dont often meet moms with preemies as little as ours! God bless you and your family!

Tiffani

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)