• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions on in-home child care...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:28 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 260 Total Views

Ok, this isn't advertising as I am not doing this yet, but wanted to get some information from you other moms here in the Boro. I am thinking of doing in home child care (again). I've done it before up north in Vermont, and was considered the best in-home registered child care in the county at the time.  This would be not registered, therefore no more than 4 kids (outside of my one at home). I had some questions to put to y'all to see what you think...

What do you consider to be a reasonable fee, both full time and part time?

What would you expect of an in-home child care provider?

Would you think it a problem having an in-home child care in an apartment (1st floor, one story, 2200 square feet, and has two new playgrounds being built)?

What kinds of things would you expect to be provided other than general care? ie: Transportation to and from school, pick up if child gets sick at school, open care (ie: parents can come in at anytime without notice when kids are in my care), nutritious meals, constant supervision, structured learning and activities, limited tv, etc. (which are all things I would (and have) provide anyway)?

Thanks all. 

~Lisa

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
WindsongSidhe
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 7:20 PM

It's decided - I am going for it. I left the job today and will be organizing the home for day care. 

~Lisa

jessicazeksmom
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Congrats on your decision. I tried doing the In-home child care and ended up not getting paid. I know the babysitter I use now is wonderful and she charges me $75.00 for my son (practically full-time since he gets there around 11am) and an extra $25.00 to watch my daughter after school, she picks her up. This is what she charged me for 5 days a week and I still pay the same even though my son is only there 4 days a week now and my daughter 3 days.

Personally, I provide snacks and drinks for my children. There are times that she will get them some but I've told her I will provide it if she let's me know when they need more. I don't think for the price she's charging that she needs to provide it. If you charge a little extra then I would say to provide the snacks. I charged $100.00 a week fulltime and $75.00 parttime but that was with my providing all snacks and drinks.

I don't think it would be a problem with you being in an apartment, as long as there is space for them to play.

As far as what extras you provide, I think you would need to do that on a case by case basis, and then add then decide your price for that family. I think there are times that you would need to charge extra, (ie: picking kids up from school) that way you can cover your addt'l expense.

I know you already made your decision but I wanted to share my thoughts since you hadn't gotten any other response yet.

Again good luck. By the way, What area are you in?

WindsongSidhe
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:27 PM

HI there and thanks for the advice :D 

I'm in mid-boro area, near East Clark and Memorial.  We are moving closer to MTSU (about a mile or so down the road).

~Lisa

WindsongSidhe
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Getting in full swing - just need a few supplies and a few kids LOL.  I've made a web page to advertise - PLEASE let me know what you think of it.  http://sites.google.com/site/grammalisaschildcare/

I've also advertised on Craigs List and looking into other options.   Thanks, all for your help and emails of encouragement!

~Lisa

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)